Yet another Mastering Physics Question

In summary: Just remember to include the units in your final answer. So in summary, the stuntman and villain, with masses of 80.0 kg and 70.0 kg respectively, start with a horizontal velocity of 9.9 m/s and a combined velocity of 5.98 m/s after the stuntman swings down to grapple with the villain. Using the coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.215, they will slide a distance of 6.6 meters before coming to a stop. Conservation of energy and momentum were used to solve for the initial and final velocities, while conservation of energy was used to solve for the distance they slide.
janiexo
I've been messing around with this problem for a while now and am getting absolutely nowhere. I was wondering if anyone could help me work it out...

--A movie stuntman (mass 80.0 kg) stands on a window ledge 5.0 m above the floor. Grabbing a rope attached to a chandelier, he swings down to grapple with the movie's villain (mass 70.0 kg), who is standing directly under the chandelier. (Assume that the stuntman's center of mass moves downward 5.0 m. He releases the rope just as he reaches the villain.)
A: With what speed do the entwined foes start to slide across the floor?
Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.8
B: If the coefficient of kinetic friction of their bodies with the floor is mu_k= 0.215, how far do they slide?

I don't recall doing anything at all like this in class and can't find any examples like this so I'm really at a loss as to how to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the stuntman's horizontal velocity just before impact. Since he is swinging on a rope, all of his velocity will be horizontal at the bottom of the arc, and you can use conservation of energy to get his velocity. Then use conservation of momentum to get the velocity of the combined stuntman/villain, assuming they stick together. Finally, use the force of friction times distance equals the work done by friction, and find how far they must go for this to equal their starting kinetic energy.

In case you're wondering why you use conservation of energy for the first and last part and momentum for the middle part, I'll explain that real quick. They are both always conserved, but sometimes one of them goes into parts of the problem you aren't interested in. In the first and last part, momentum is conserved because the Earth moves slightly as the guy moves, but you can obviously ignore this effect. You can always ignore momentum conservation when considering friction against the ground and you can ignore the component of momentum in the direction of gravity when you use a constant gravitational field instead of the GMm/r equation. Finally, for the second part, some energy goes to heat in an inelastic collision, so conservation of energy wouldn't help you. I don't know if you wanted all that extra information, but there it is.

Ok I think I understand. I did what you said and ended up with the velocity of the stuntman at the bottom of the arc being 9.9m/s (using conservation of energy: mgh=1/2*mv^2 since initial velocity is 0 and final height is 0). Then used conservation of momentum: m1(9.9)=(m1+m2)v_final and ended up with the velocity being equal to 5.98m/s.

For the 2nd part I came up mu_k*N*d=1/2*m*v^2 with N = mg and got a distance of 6.6
Have I done it correctly?

Looks good.

1. What is "Yet another Mastering Physics Question"?

"Yet another Mastering Physics Question" is a common phrase used in online forums and discussion boards among students who are struggling with a specific physics problem on the Mastering Physics platform. It is often used as a subject line for posts seeking help or clarification on a particular question.

2. How can I solve "Yet another Mastering Physics Question"?

The best way to solve a "Yet another Mastering Physics Question" is to carefully read the question and understand what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and apply relevant equations and principles to solve each part. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or create visual aids to better understand the problem.

3. Can I use outside resources to solve "Yet another Mastering Physics Question"?

It is important to follow the guidelines set by your instructor when using outside resources to solve a "Yet another Mastering Physics Question". Some courses may allow the use of calculators or online resources, while others may require you to solve the problem using only your knowledge and understanding of the material.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on "Yet another Mastering Physics Question"?

If you are having trouble solving a "Yet another Mastering Physics Question", it is important to first review your notes and textbook to ensure that you have a solid understanding of the relevant concepts and equations. If you are still stuck, you can seek help from your instructor or classmates, or utilize online resources such as forums or tutoring services.

5. How can I improve my performance on "Yet another Mastering Physics Question"?

To improve your performance on "Yet another Mastering Physics Question", it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Make sure to attend all lectures and complete assigned readings, and actively engage in class discussions and problem-solving activities. Additionally, reviewing and understanding your mistakes on previous assignments can help you identify areas of weakness and improve your problem-solving skills.