Calculating Kerosene Tank Height from Leak Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the height of kerosene in a tank with a hole at the bottom leaking at a rate of 10 gal/min. After discussing different formulas and assumptions, it is concluded that the height of the kerosene can be found using the conservation of energy principle. The final formula for calculating the height is h = v^2/g, where v is the velocity of the liquid and g is the gravitational constant. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and apologizing for any misunderstandings.
daisyi
Kerosene (sp. gr. .82) leaks out of a hole 0.5 in. in diameter at the bottom of a tank at a rate of 10 gal/min. How high is the kerosene in the tank??
(hint, 1gal = 0.1337 ft^3)

So I used this formula:

R = sqrt(2*g*h) * A

and came up with 15004ft. which is completely off mark.

any ideas? :surprise:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is that formula you used? What do the variables represent? I would think you'd use the conservation of energy. Imagine that at the bottom, the tank was attached to a horizontal hose of 0.5 in diameter. The kerosene in this tube, after it's all emptied, will of course be going at the same speed as it did as it left the tank, so it has a constant kinetic energy (ignore friction and other resistive forces). The closed tank has just a bunch of stored potential energy. So, one form of energy turns entirely into another.

Let h be the height of the tank
Let p be the density of the liquid
Let A be the constant cross-sectional area of the cylindrical tank (I assumed a bunch of stuff here, but I think I'm free to make these assumptions)
Let E represent the total initial energy of the liquid (gravitational potential energy)
Let E' represent the total final energy of the liquid (translational kinetic energy)

[tex]E = E'[/tex]

Now, the potential energy of a small slice of the liquid is:

dE = dm * g * y, where y is the height of the slice
dE = pAdy * g * y

So:

[tex]\int _0 ^h (gpA)(y)dy = \frac{1}{2}(pAh)v^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{gh^2}{2} = \frac{hv^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]gh = v^2[/tex]

Now, you can calculate v. If it flows out with a diameter of 0.5 in. at a rate of 10 gal/min, I think you can calculate the speed with which it flows out. After 1 minute, 1 gallon flows out. In that time, [itex]0.0625\pi in.^2 \times D[/itex] flows out. You can solve for D. The speed, obviously, will be v = D/min. So

[tex]gh = D^2[/tex]

[tex]h = \frac{D^2}{g} = \frac{\left (\frac{1\mbox{ gallon}}{0.0625\pi \mbox{ in.}^2} \right )^2}{g}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help, but it appears as if you are trying to solve for the velocity, and we are looking for the height of the liquid.

The formula I used was essentially the same as the one you just described.

This one is driving me nuts!

:confused:

daisyi said:
Thanks so much for your help, but it appears as if you are trying to solve for the velocity, and we are looking for the height of the liquid.

The formula I used was essentially the same as the one you just described.

This one is driving me nuts!

:confused:

You find velocity,v from Q = vA, where Q = 10 gal/min converted into the right units, and A is the area of the opening.

Having calculated v, you can then find h from
[tex]~h =v^2/g [/tex]

daisyi said:
So I guess you just didn't bother to read what I wrote?

I'm sorry that I obviously misunderstood what you were trying to say. However, with your help, I did figure it out. The main problem was that I was working with mismatched units.

I wasn't trying to offend you, I was just confused, that's all. But thanks for both of your help, that one took me quite a bit of time to figure out. Thanks! :biggrin:

Don't worry, I wasn't offended at all, just shocked that you blatantly missed the second half of my post, the half that just about gives you a final numerical answer. If you decided to use my work, you would have been about 5 seconds away from having a final answer, so I'm surprised you blatantly missed that, but on the other hand, I suppose it's good as it may have forced you to work more on the problem yourself. Again, I'm not offended, and was glad to help. :)

1. How is leak rate related to kerosene tank height?

The leak rate of a kerosene tank is directly proportional to its height. This means that the higher the tank, the faster the leak rate will be.

2. What is the formula for calculating kerosene tank height from leak rate?

The formula for calculating kerosene tank height from leak rate is: height = (leak rate * time) / (area * density * acceleration due to gravity). This formula takes into account the leak rate, time, tank area, kerosene density, and acceleration due to gravity in order to determine the height of the tank.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation, such as variations in the kerosene density, changes in the acceleration due to gravity, and errors in measuring the leak rate and time. It is important to use the most accurate and up-to-date values for these variables in order to get a precise calculation.

4. Can this calculation be used for all types of kerosene tanks?

Yes, this calculation can be used for all types of kerosene tanks as long as the tank has a known area and the kerosene density and acceleration due to gravity are known. However, it is important to note that the actual height of the tank may vary slightly due to factors such as tank shape and design.

5. How can this calculation be useful for scientists?

This calculation can be useful for scientists who are studying kerosene tanks and their potential for leaks. By knowing the height of the tank, scientists can better understand the rate at which kerosene is leaking and the potential impact on the environment. It can also be used to determine if a tank is leaking at a faster rate than expected, which may indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.