Yet another question

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
this one is simple: is the wind chill factor an actual factor or is it only percieved by humans?

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What do you mean by a "real factor"???

It's the same factor that happens when you blow on soup, the air movement increases the loss of heat, hence, it cools faster.

For an inanimate object, windchill has an effect if the object is warm. For example, say that you fill two glasses with the same amount of 100-degree water. You put one glass in your refrigerator, which is at 35 degrees, and one outside, where it is 35 degrees and the wind is blowing at 25 mph (so the windchill makes it feel like 8 degrees). The glass outside will get cold quicker than the glass in the refrigerator because of the wind. However, the glass outside will not get colder than 35 degrees -- the air is 35 degrees whether it is moving or not. That is why the thermometer reads 35 degrees even though it feels like 8 degrees.

Alexander

Originally posted by maximus
this one is simple: is the wind chill factor an actual factor or is it only percieved by humans?
It is perceived not only humans. Try to chill your processor without wind (fan) - what happens then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: yet another question

Originally posted by Alexander
It is perceived not only humans. Try to chill your processor without wind (fan) - what happens then?
Water cooling is very efficient.

Alexander

Yes. For human too.

drag

Science Advisor
Re: Re: Re: yet another question

Originally posted by Alexander
It is perceived not only humans. Try to chill your
processor without wind (fan) - what happens then?
Originally posted by kyle_soule
Water cooling is very efficient.
Oh yeah... try it... :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: yet another question

look, i was just wondering how my car can give an accurate reading of the outside temperature while in motion

damgo

The thermometer is probably in a compartment or part of the car that doesn't feel much wind. You could mostly enclose it, but leave enough ventilation opening to the rear so that the air inside the compartment would stay the same temp as the outside but not feel much wind.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yet another question

Originally posted by maximus
look, i was just wondering how my car can give an accurate reading of the outside temperature while in motion
Hey, who's topic is this anyways!

The engine sensory on many cars is on the right side of the engine, top right corner of radiator.