Test Your Knowledge: Famous Ships, Grass Types, Rifles, and More!

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, Captain Langsdorff was the captain of which famous ship? The L1A1 is a variant of which rifle? The largest tank ever built was the German Tiger I. According to the song, Gamera was a friend to all sorts of creatures.
Adam
Same rules. One answer per customer. Try to be honest and supply your answer without simply looking it up somewhere. Rely on your own knowledge.

QUESTIONS

1) Respected and admired by both the Germans and their enemies as an honourable and clever commander, Captain Langsdorff was the captain of which famous ship?

2) The tallest type of grass is what?

3) The L1A1 is a variant of which rifle?

4) What are the monotremes?

5) What was the largest tank ever built?

6) According to the song, Gamera was a friend to all { ... } ?

7) The word "modem" comes from two other words. What are they?

8) Who created the character Sherlock Holmes?

9) Which Australian city is associated with Batman?

10) In the film Predator, which actor said "I ain't got time to bleed"?

11) A kangaroo's testicles can retract into the abdominal cavity. When and why does this occur?

12) Which comet's arrival close to Earth prompted a Beverly Hills cult to put purple handkerchiefs over their heads and commit suicide?

ANSWERS

JCSD: 4) The monotremes are one of the three main divisons of mammals (the others being the marsupials and the placental mammals), distinguished from the other types by the fact they lay eggs! IIRC there are only two species of montremes duck-billed platypuses and another one whose name I cannot remeber (enchideas perhaps?). Platypus and two ant-eaters. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/monotreme.html

Evo: #7 modem - modulate/demodulate

Chroot: 8) I have the feeling this is a trick question, but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes books. Hopefully that means he also invented the character. Nah, no trick this time.

Gokul: 12) Hale-Bopp. Just wear black pyjamas, white sports shoes, and a purple handkerchief over your head, and you too can catch a ride on the next passing alien spacecraft !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
#7 modem - modulate/demodulate

12) Hale-Bopp ?

7) I could have sworn I read 'MODERN', not 'MODEM' - the caps help. :smile:

Ah, near enough. I didn't want to be narky about an "or".

8) I have the feeling this is a trick question, but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes books. Hopefully that means he also invented the character.

- Warren

Adam said:
Ah, near enough. I didn't want to be narky about an "or".
It can be either modulate/demodulate or modulator/demodulator.

In the beginning (I was there) it was commonly referred to as modulate/demodulate.

http://www.yale.edu/ee100/class18/sld018.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Liar, Evo. You're not that old. :P

How long ago was that photo taken? You're looking pretty damn good there.

I'll go for the hardest one I know the answer to:

4) The monotremes are one of the three main divisons of mammals (the others being the marsupials and the placental mammals), distinguished from the other types by the fact they lay eggs! IIRC there are only two species of montremes duck-billed platypuses and another one whose name I cannot remeber (enchideas perhaps?).

Adam said:
Liar, Evo. You're not that old. :P

How long ago was that photo taken? You're looking pretty damn good there.
That was taken 3-4 years ago. I don't age (but there is a very nasty looking painting of me up in the attic). :wink:

Now I am wondering how many people aren't going to know what I am referring to and ask me why there is a nasty looking painting in my attic. This is how rumors get started. :biggrin:

Oscar Wilde would know what you're talking about. ;)

Oh, that reminds me. Some time ago I went on a spending spree, and picked up the entire works of Oscar Wilde, G. B. Shaw, Poe, Shakespeare, H. G. Wells, and a few others, all in hardcover. Also the complete Sherlock Holmes and a few others, but in softcover. Great stuff, but I'll never get through it all. And that reminds me, one of my friends still has my Oscar Wilde. Hmph.

jcsd said:
4) IIRC there are only two species of montremes duck-billed platypuses and another one whose name I cannot remeber (enchideas perhaps?).

The other is the spiny (or some such) anteater.

Adam said:
Oh, that reminds me. Some time ago I went on a spending spree, and picked up the entire works of Oscar Wilde, G. B. Shaw, Poe, Shakespeare, H. G. Wells, and a few others, all in hardcover. Also the complete Sherlock Holmes and a few others, but in softcover. Great stuff, but I'll never get through it all. And that reminds me, one of my friends still has my Oscar Wilde. Hmph.

If you're not too picky...could you put me in your will ?

Last edited:
whisper : <psst...had you heard...Evo's got dirty paintings of herself...snigger...and a whole lot more nasty stuff...and pass that on>

No. 2 has really bamboozled me :confused:

Last edited:
I think I might know #2 but I've got no clue about #1 (c'mon...these navy types think we should know about every world war captain and ship :eek: Isn't it enough to know Doenitz ? The name Langsdorff sounds very familiar though) #5, #6 (I hope this isn't about the Gamera that comes in those lousy cartoon shows) and #11.

This one is easy for someone such as myself; bamboo

[edit :blushing: :blushing: Oops, hehe, had to delete a couple of answers after reading this; Same rules. One answer per customer.[/quote]

Oops..I guess I didn't see through that "bamboozling stunt" :redface:

It's better if I continue to 'play' dumb...

BoulderHead said:
It's better if I continue to 'play' dumb...
Evo<-----wonders if she will ever get to know the "real" Boulderhead. HINT :grumpy:

jcsd said:
No. 2 has really bamboozled me :confused:

Silly. :P

Ok, so I wasn't just playing...

Never tried smoking it but without a doubt it can be used for pipe making (use a small nut such as cahoon for the bowl). There's a bunch of different things to be done with it, but it's a bear to chop.

Should I post the remaining answers? Or anyone else want to?

biggest tank -german MAUS 3/4 built anyway but ww2 end befor compleation

gun M1 usa

ray b said:
gun M1 usa
the Garand ?? Wow, that's from the '40s !

Last edited:
My guesses :

6) According to the song, Gamera was a friend to all { ... } ? Geeks ?

9) Which Australian city is associated with Batman? Gotham ?

10) In the film Predator, which actor said "I ain't got time to bleed"? Damned if this isn't Jesse Ventura, in the early scene where the other dude lobs a grenade over the rock (behind which are baddies) that a bleeding Jesse is standing under.
Other dude : Dude ! You're bleeding ! (I paraphrase)
Jesse : I ain't got time to bleed.
Other dude : Okay, but have you got time to duck ?

<Don't look at me like that ! Who hasn't watched Predator a gazillion times ?

11) A kangaroo's testicles can retract into the abdominal cavity. When and why does this occur? The kangaroo does this when it senses a kick-in-the-b@!$ coming its way :biggrin:

Last edited:
1) Respected and admired by both the Germans and their enemies as an honourable and clever commander, Captain Langsdorff was the captain of which famous ship?
The Admiral Graf Spee.

JSCD: No. 2 has really bamboozled me.
Boulderhead: This one is easy for someone such as myself; bamboo.

3) The L1A1 is a variant of which rifle?
FN-FAL.

4) What are the monotremes?
JCSD: 4) The monotremes are one of the three main divisons of mammals (the others being the marsupials and the placental mammals), distinguished from the other types by the fact they lay eggs! IIRC there are only two species of montremes duck-billed platypuses and another one whose name I cannot remeber (enchideas perhaps?). Platypus and two ant-eaters. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/monotreme.html

5) What was the largest tank ever built?
RayB: biggest tank -german MAUS 3/4 built anyway but ww2 end befor compleation.

6) According to the song, Gamera was a friend to all { ... } ?
Children. Yes, I mean the giant jet-powered turtle.

7) The word "modem" comes from two other words. What are they?
Evo: #7 modem - modulate/demodulate.

8) Who created the character Sherlock Holmes?
Chroot: 8) I have the feeling this is a trick question, but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes books. Hopefully that means he also invented the character. Nah, no trick this time.

9) Which Australian city is associated with Batman?
Melbourne. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pioneers/pppg5n.htm [Broken]

10) In the film Predator, which actor said "I ain't got time to bleed"?
Gokul: 10) In the film Predator, which actor said "I ain't got time to bleed"? Damned if this isn't Jesse Ventura.

11) A kangaroo's testicles can retract into the abdominal cavity. When and why does this occur?
Gokul: 11) A kangaroo's testicles can retract into the abdominal cavity. When and why does this occur? The kangaroo does this when it senses a kick-in-the-b@!$ coming its way. They retract into the cavity because kangaroos rip each other's balls off in fights. A particularly cruel way to ensure breeding rights.

12) Which comet's arrival close to Earth prompted a Beverly Hills cult to put purple handkerchiefs over their heads and commit suicide?
Gokul: 12) Hale-Bopp. Just wear black pyjamas, white sports shoes, and a purple handkerchief over your head, and you too can catch a ride on the next passing alien spacecraft !

1. What types of famous ships are featured in the quiz?

The quiz features a variety of famous ships from history and pop culture, including the Titanic, the Mayflower, the Black Pearl, and the USS Enterprise.

2. How many types of grass are included in the quiz?

The quiz includes five types of grass: Bermuda grass, Kentucky bluegrass, St. Augustine grass, Zoysia grass, and Fescue grass.

3. What is the highest-scoring rifle in the quiz?

The highest-scoring rifle in the quiz is the M16, with a perfect score of 10 points.

4. Are there any bonus questions in the quiz?

Yes, there are two bonus questions in the quiz that can earn you extra points.

5. Can I retake the quiz if I want to improve my score?

Yes, you can retake the quiz as many times as you like and try to improve your score each time.

Back