Yet another wireless power transmission thread.

• Thread starter sbstn
  • Start date
This is amazing, both of you :D I think I'm going to slightly change my goal and shoot for 10W, and try instead to make my copter more efficient.

I'm going to try the inductive coupling first to see if I can get enough power to meet my needs, that way I won't have to worry about shielding and giving people cataracts and whatnot. If not I'll experiment with your Tesla coil advice.
I'll be sure to post back by build.
Bye for now guys, thanks a bunch.

I just heard about a neat little schematic which keeps your transistors ice cold:

Zero-volt Switching RF driver
http://www.instructables.com/id/ZVS-Driver/step3/Schematics/

I'd just get rid of the flyback transformer and replace it with a big multi-turn loop antenna with a center tap connection. Use very heavy wire or the outer braid of coax as low-resistance conductor. Choose the value of that one capacitor to set the operating freq. (If it cap gets hot, perhaps need to use several series/parallel capacitors.)

Ah, also I found the reference: the USA official RF power equipment frequency is 27.12MHz

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/InspectionGuides/ucm071626.htm

This is very useful - presumably I could also use this to drive a resonance transformer?

If I replace the transformer with an antenna, is there any kind of setup that would negate the need for heavy shielding? Lower gain, more directionality?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although it may not fit your original brief, it could be easier to have your position control 'on the ground' rather than in the 'vehicle'.
If it's just an 'illusion' you're after, it could be an acceptable solution.

Can you explain that a little more?
All I need is a PID system (hopefully I can use SMD componnents) to keep it still. I feel like it would be more bulky if I added radio gear rather than have it more or less autonomous don't you think?
If you're thinking of a more physical solution, that would be grand..