Yet more electrical attraction

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a circuit to charge a capacitor and then separate the plates using an insulator. The person asking the question wanted to know what would happen to the capacitance and the attraction force between the plates as they were pulled farther apart. It was concluded that due to the physical limitations of capacitor construction, the desired setup would not be achievable and the force would decrease significantly.
error404
yet...more electrical attraction :)

hello everyone
i posted a question erleair about electrical attraction, and the answers were really helpful, i hope i can help me with this too

here's the situation, i have a circiut with a battery of 100 volts and a capacitor having "100 Micro farad, 100 volts", i'll leave the circuit to charge the capacitors 100% after charging is done, i want to open the circiut, so that the cahrge is trapped on the plates (1e-2 coulomb) of the capacitor, after the charge is trapped on the plates, i want to separate the plates using some insulator (wood or whatever) so that the space between the 2 plates is 1 meter, and the chrage is still on them.

the area of each plate is 5 Cm2.

there are 2 things i want to know acutally
1- the capacitance law is C= E.A/X
when i pull the 2 plates far from each other, the "x" is going to be increased and the capcitance will be decreased. a high charge on a low capacitance, would the plates give a spark and get rid of that big charge?? or would it keep the charge? what else would happen?

2-if everything worked perfect, and i could take the 2 plates away from each other, a whole meter, would the attraction ofrce be hundreds of Newtons? (apporximatley, according to coulomb's law)

thanks
Error404

Engineering news on Phys.org

I feel for 1) the capacitance is decreased, but distance between the plates is increased, so it won't be a problem since same charges are far apart.

I think I know where you’re coming from Error404, but you do need to learn a little about how large value capacitors are physically constructed in order to really understand the practicalities (or otherwise) of the questions you’ve been asking. You probably should also read up on Poissons Equations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson's_equation) to gain some insight into the difficulties of making precise calculations of charge and field distributions for non trivial spatial configurations.

Let me just say that 100uF at 5 cm^2 is not achievable with the type of planar (non electrolytic) construction that would allow you to separate the plates in the manner you desire.

As an example consider a parallel plate capacitor with A=5E-4 m^2 and a Titanium-dioxide dielectric (relative dielectric constant =100). Even with this dielectric we need a plate separation of about 4E-9 (4 nm) to achieve 100uF. This is a spacing of around 10 or 15 molecules thick. Now even if we could make the dielectric this thin and perfectly uniform and flat, and even if we could attach the electrodes with near perfect contact on an Angstrom scale without them being metallurgically bonded (both pretty big ifs) then a voltage of 100 volts would give a field strength of 2.5E10, exceeding the dielectric strength of the TiO2 by about 10000 times. In other words, even if this capacitor could be constructed near ideally, it’s rated working voltage would be only about 0.01 volts. So sorry to rain on your parade yet again, but this will decrease your force by a factor of 1E8 (ten to the power of eight).

Last edited:

1. What is electrical attraction?

Electrical attraction is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two or more electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields, which can be generated by the presence of electrically charged particles.

2. How does electrical attraction work?

Electrical attraction works by the interaction of positive and negative charges. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. These interactions are governed by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What are some examples of electrical attraction?

Some examples of electrical attraction include the attraction between protons and electrons in an atom, the attraction between positively and negatively charged objects, and the attraction between oppositely charged ions in an ionic compound.

4. How is electrical attraction different from other types of attraction?

Electrical attraction is different from other types of attraction, such as gravitational or magnetic attraction, because it is specific to electrically charged particles. It is also much stronger than other types of attraction, as the force between two charged particles is much greater than the force between two non-charged particles.

5. What are the practical applications of electrical attraction?

Electrical attraction has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is the basis for electricity and is essential for the functioning of electronic devices. It is also used in industrial processes, such as electroplating, and plays a crucial role in biological processes, such as nerve impulses and muscle contractions.