Stress-Strain of Alloy with 100μm Nucleus Size

In summary: The stress strain relationship for an alloy with an average nucleus size of 100 microns is depicted in the diagram below. The modulus of elasticity for the alloy is 200 GPa, and the yielding stress is equal to 200 GPa.
Dell
as depicted in the diagram below
stress-strain.JPG

the stress strain for an alloy with an average nucleus size of 100 micron
find
1)the modulus of elasticity for the alloy
2) the yielding stress

for 1) i assume that the red line is meant to be at 0.0005 therefore
E=dσ/dε=100e6/0.0005

E=200Gpa

for 2) i don't know what i can do, all that i do know is that the slant of the line from ε=0.002 to the point of σy is equal to 200Gpa (from the E i found before), but how can i use this to find the stress, i do not know the strain for σy, since i was given the nuclesu size i think i must somehow use that, but how??

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore the 100 micron nucleus info. The sample yields where there is a deviation from a linear stress/strain relationship, right?

but how can i use that information, when you say a deviation from stress strain relationship, do you mean a deviation from the young modulus? i don't think that that's true, is there not a small portion where the line is not linear but before yielding?
even on the graph there is a portion between the linear section and the point marked as 2 with the green line

i think i need to use the imaginary linear line that starts at 0.2% and rises to yielding stress at a slant equal to E

Agreed.

now i assume that the apropriate strain for the yielding stress is 0.003, is that correct?

σ/0.001=E=200Gpa

σ=200MPa

is this correct? according to the graph it cannot be

It's simpler than that. The convention is to use the stress where the 0.2% offset line meets the actual stress-strain curve.

but i don't know the function of the actual curve, do you mean the linear section,
where
σ=200Gpa*ε
(ε=0.002)

σ=400MPa

dont think that's what you mean,

how can i find the curve after the linear section?

You read it off by eye.

is there no way to calculate it?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is stress-strain and how does it relate to alloys with 100μm nucleus size?

Stress-strain is a measure of the response of a material to an applied force. In the case of alloys with 100μm nucleus size, stress-strain refers to how the material deforms and changes shape under stress, which is influenced by the size and distribution of the nuclei within the alloy.

2. How does the nucleus size affect the stress-strain behavior of an alloy?

The nucleus size plays a significant role in determining the stress-strain behavior of an alloy. A smaller nucleus size can result in a higher yield strength and greater resistance to deformation, while a larger nucleus size may lead to a lower yield strength and more ductile behavior.

3. What factors influence the stress-strain behavior of an alloy with 100μm nucleus size?

Aside from nucleus size, the composition, microstructure, and processing of the alloy can also affect its stress-strain behavior. Other factors such as temperature, strain rate, and applied load can also influence the stress-strain response of an alloy with 100μm nucleus size.

4. How is stress-strain of an alloy with 100μm nucleus size typically tested and measured?

The stress-strain behavior of an alloy with 100μm nucleus size is commonly tested using a tensile test, where a sample of the material is pulled until it breaks. The resulting stress and strain values are then used to plot a stress-strain curve, which provides valuable information about the material's mechanical properties.

5. What are some potential applications of studying the stress-strain behavior of alloys with 100μm nucleus size?

Understanding the stress-strain behavior of alloys with 100μm nucleus size is crucial for designing and optimizing materials for various applications. This knowledge can be used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to create stronger and more durable components and structures. Additionally, studying the stress-strain behavior of alloys can also aid in predicting their failure and improving overall safety and reliability.