Is Air Pollution in Spanish Cities Fueled by Drugs?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary: That's interesting. I wonder if our sensors would be powerful enough to hunt down a person in real time based on an electronic nose..well I guess dogs can do it. Hmm.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Spanish study shows cocaine in the air in 2 cities
May 14, 2009 11:52 AM (5 hrs ago) By CIARAN GILES, AP

MADRID (Map, News) -
Air pollution has long been a fact of life in Spanish cities, but scientists now say it is not just smog that chokes people as they walk to work or stroll through the park. A new study has found the air in Madrid and Barcelona is also laced with at least five drugs - most prominently cocaine.

The Superior Council of Scientific Investigations, a government scientific institute, said on its Web site Thursday that in addition to cocaine, they found trace amounts of amphetamines, opiates, cannabinoids and lysergic acid -a relative of LSD - in two air-quality control stations, one in each city.
http://www.examiner.com/a-2015314~Spanish_study_shows_cocaine_in_the_air_in_2_cities.html

That's getting pretty outre chic. So much pot smoking, cocaine and LSD that it shows up in air quality tests?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the issue is half that and half air quality testers bragging about the sensitivity of their equipment. There was a similarly useless news story last year about poisons in the drinking water in many US cities...measured in ppb.

On a similar 'note'
http://i.livescience.com/images/080805-world-currency-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
On a similar 'note'
http://i.livescience.com/images/080805-world-currency-02.jpg
[/URL]

I've actually observed people licking their money before handing it to a cashier...sadly more than on one occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhoWee said:
I've actually observed people licking their money before handing it to a cashier...sadly more than on one occasion.

You're kidding right?? That's disgusting. Safer than licking a strangers palm, but not much different.

I wish I was kidding. Have you ever noticed "rolled up" bills...those are the ones they really want.

WhoWee said:
I wish I was kidding. Have you ever noticed "rolled up" bills...those are the ones they really want.

Hahaha...right. Anyway, that's probably the most incomprehensible chart layout I've ever laid eyes on.

I think this is more an indication of the sensitivity of mass spectrometers than anything else.

The research found cocaine in concentrations ranging between 29 and 850 picograms per cubic meter of air. A picogram is one-trillionth of a gram.

The density of air is about 1.2 kg/m^3, so the range is 24 - 708 ppq ("parts per quadrillion").

signerror said:
The density of air is about 1.2 kg/m^3, so the range is 24 - 708 ppq ("parts per quadrillion").

That's interesting. I wonder if our sensors would be powerful enough to hunt down a person in real time based on an electronic nose..well I guess dogs can do it. Hmm. I wonder why this kind of technology hasn't been made.

What is cocaine?

Cocaine is a highly addictive stimulant drug that is derived from the coca plant. It is typically sold as a white powder and can be snorted, smoked, or injected. It is known for its euphoric and energetic effects.

How does cocaine affect the body?

Cocaine works by increasing the levels of dopamine in the brain, which is a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward. This leads to a feeling of euphoria and increased energy. However, it also constricts blood vessels and raises heart rate, which can be dangerous and even fatal.

How does cocaine get into the air?

Cocaine can get into the air through various means, such as being smoked or snorted by individuals, being released into the air during drug manufacturing or transportation, or being carried by wind from outdoor drug use.

What are the potential dangers of breathing in cocaine?

Breathing in cocaine can lead to a variety of health risks, including respiratory problems, heart problems, and even overdose. It can also cause irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs, and can increase the risk of infections.

How can I protect myself from breathing in cocaine?

The best way to protect oneself from breathing in cocaine is to avoid being around individuals who are using the drug and to avoid areas where it is known to be present. Wearing a mask or covering the nose and mouth can also help prevent inhalation of cocaine particles.

Back