Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yikes. Cocaine is in the air.

1. May 14, 2009 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.examiner.com/a-2015314~Spanish_study_shows_cocaine_in_the_air_in_2_cities.html

That's getting pretty outre chic. So much pot smoking, cocaine and LSD that it shows up in air quality tests?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, the issue is half that and half air quality testers bragging about the sensitivity of their equipment. There was a similarly useless news story last year about poisons in the drinking water in many US cities.....measured in ppb.

4. May 14, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On a similar 'note'
    http://i.livescience.com/images/080805-world-currency-02.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. May 14, 2009 #4
    [/URL]

I've actually observed people licking their money before handing it to a cashier...sadly more than on one occasion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. May 14, 2009 #5
    You're kidding right?? That's disgusting. Safer than licking a strangers palm, but not much different.

7. May 14, 2009 #6
    I wish I was kidding. Have you ever noticed "rolled up" bills...those are the ones they really want.

8. May 14, 2009 #7
    Hahaha...right. Anyway, that's probably the most incomprehensible chart layout I've ever laid eyes on.

9. May 15, 2009 #8
    I think this is more an indication of the sensitivity of mass spectrometers than anything else.

The density of air is about 1.2 kg/m^3, so the range is 24 - 708 ppq ("parts per quadrillion").

10. May 15, 2009 #9
    That's interesting. I wonder if our sensors would be powerful enough to hunt down a person in real time based on an electronic nose..well I guess dogs can do it. Hmm. I wonder why this kind of technology hasn't been made.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook