YIKES Momentum and Impulse

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a basketball being dropped from rest. They mention trying different approaches but not being able to get any help from their book or teacher. Eventually, they determine that they can solve for velocity and then use a kinematic equation to find the height at which the basketball was dropped.
TastyTyr
Ok, I've done work on this problem, but I think that everything I try is wrong. I can't get any help from my book or my teacher because he made it up and wants up to try it. But I have no clue how to start. Please help me :cry:

A basketball (m = 0.57 kg) is dropped from rest. Just before striking the floor, the magnitude of the basketball's momentum is 2.5 kgm/s. At what height was the basketball dropped?

Physics news on Phys.org
mass * velocity = momentum right?
you know the mass so you can find velocity.
do you know any equations that include velocity, acceleration and height?

Oh yeah...and so I would solve for velocity first then I would use the kinematic equation,for velocity acceleration and height? (vf^2)=(vi^2)+2ah ??

you got it

Thanks a bunch!:smile:

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical property of an object that describes its motion. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum related to impulse?

Momentum and impulse are closely related concepts. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum, and is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time over which the force acts. In other words, impulse is the cause of a change in momentum.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved because the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is true for both elastic and inelastic collisions, where the objects may stick together after the collision.

What are some real-life applications of momentum and impulse?

Momentum and impulse have many real-world applications, such as in sports, where momentum is important in determining the success of a shot or throw. They are also important in car safety, where the impulse of a seatbelt can help reduce the force of impact in a car crash. In rocket propulsion, impulse is used to propel the rocket forward by releasing hot gases at high velocities. Momentum and impulse are also used in engineering and design to analyze and improve the performance of machines and structures.