Solving Yo-Yo Force Problem: Find Acceleration & Friction Force

• Thread starter Ruitker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The yoyo consists of two solid disks connected by a central spindle with a light string coiled around it. When placed upright on a rough surface and pulled with a horizontal force of 28 N at the top of the spindle, the yoyo rolls without slipping. To find the acceleration of the yoyo, ehild started by taking moments about the center of mass, equating the resulting torque with the inertia and angular acceleration, and then solving for a using the F-fr=ma equation. However, the answers obtained were incorrect.
Ruitker

Homework Statement

A yoyo of mass m=2 kg and moment of inertia ICM=0.0625 kg m2 consists of two solid disks of radius R=0.25 m, connected by a central spindle of radius r=0.1875 m and negligible mass. A light string is coiled around the central spindle. The yoyo is placed upright on a flat rough surface and the string is pulled with a horizontal force F=28 N, and the yoyo rolls without slipping.
The force is applied at the top of the spindle; so above the center of mass.

Find the acceleration of the yo-yo.
Find the frictional force

Homework Equations

F-fr=ma
Tq=I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I started taking moments about the centre of mass, which came to R*fr - r*F = Torque
Then equated this with the Inertia and alpha.
R*fr - r*F = I*alpha
Then changed alpha to a/R.
So ended up with a = ((R*fr - r*F)*R)/I
I then use the F-fr=ma equation to solve for both fr and a.
The answers i get are incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ruitker said:

Homework Statement

A yoyo of mass m=2 kg and moment of inertia ICM=0.0625 kg m2 consists of two solid disks of radius R=0.25 m, connected by a central spindle of radius r=0.1875 m and negligible mass. A light string is coiled around the central spindle. The yoyo is placed upright on a flat rough surface and the string is pulled with a horizontal force F=28 N, and the yoyo rolls without slipping.
The force is applied at the top of the spindle; so above the center of mass.

Find the acceleration of the yo-yo.
Find the frictional force

Homework Equations

F-fr=ma
Tq=I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I started taking moments about the centre of mass, which came to R*fr - r*F = Torque

Are you sure the torque of the friction acts against the torque of the applied force?

Ruitker said:
Then equated this with the Inertia and alpha.
R*fr - r*F = I*alpha
Then changed alpha to a/R.
So ended up with a = ((R*fr - r*F)*R)/I
I then use the F-fr=ma equation to solve for both fr and a.
The answers i get are incorrect.

ehild

What is the Yo-Yo Force Problem?

The Yo-Yo Force Problem is a physics problem that involves a yo-yo attached to a string and a mass attached to the other end of the string. The goal is to find the acceleration and friction force acting on the mass as it moves up or down the string.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the Yo-Yo Force Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Yo-Yo Force Problem include Newton's Second Law of Motion, centripetal force, tension force, and friction force.

How do I find the acceleration and friction force in the Yo-Yo Force Problem?

To find the acceleration and friction force in the Yo-Yo Force Problem, you can use the equations for Newton's Second Law of Motion and centripetal force. You will also need to consider the tension force and any other forces acting on the mass.

What are some common mistakes when solving the Yo-Yo Force Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Yo-Yo Force Problem include forgetting to consider the direction of the forces, using incorrect equations, and not properly accounting for all the forces acting on the mass.

How can I check my solution for the Yo-Yo Force Problem?

You can check your solution for the Yo-Yo Force Problem by plugging your calculated values into the original equations and seeing if they hold true. You can also compare your solution to the expected results and make sure they are within a reasonable range.