• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Yo-yo on an accelerating conveyor belt

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
The equations give ##f = 300 N## and ##T = 400 N##. The maximum static frictional force is ##\mu_s n = \mu_s m g = 392.4 N## so it rolls without slipping.

I'm just wondering now what I'd have to do if the maximum was less than 300 N. The acceleration of the contact point of the yo-yo on the belt, relative to the wall, wouldn't equal the acceleration of the conveyor belt anymore. Can you still find the unknowns in that case?
Once you have shown that it slips, you know the frictional force from the kinetic coefficient.

Once you have shown that it slips, you know the frictional force from the kinetic coefficient.
Oh, I see. Thank you so much for your elaborate help and your patience! I really appreciate you walking me through the problem step by step.

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Oh, I see. Thank you so much for your elaborate help and your patience! I really appreciate you walking me through the problem step by step.
You are welcome. It was an instructive problem.