1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yo-yo question

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    I have the question at http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1423959807

I have to determine what happens if each force is applied.

This is what I think.

If force one is applied, the yoyo will rotate clockwise, and friction will push it to the right.

If force three is applied, the yoyo will rotate counterclockwise and friction will push it to the left.

If force two is applied, the forces on the yoyo is zero and it will not move since friction and the force will balance each other out.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you will need to quantify your answers to get these all correct. Assume friction is acting and is large enough to prevent slipping. If that assumption proves unreasonable in any case, then slipping should be included.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    The question specified that I am to assume that the yoyo roll smoothly without slipping.

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasn't sure if the handwritten part was in the problem, or an assumption. I suggest you put two different radii (inner and outer) in your diagram and assume the yo-yo is essentially a disk to find its moment of inertia. It's not absolutely necessary to do this, but I think it will help you analyze the situations.

6. Nov 13, 2006 #5
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?