Optimizing Polariscopic Alignment for Equatorial Mounts: Tips and Tricks

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary, the NEQ6 mount is good value, although it is difficult to use the polariscope optimally because of the angle at which it is pointed. There are adapters available to make it easier to use the scope, or an alternate way of getting head in the right place.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have this really beefy NEQ6 mount which, as a second hand purchase, was really good value. Nevertheless I am having trouble using the polariscope 'optimally'. I actually eyeballed the setting (with the tripod on three slate platforms that are very level and firm and pointing to the North and the tracking is absolutely fine for visual after two star alignment.
I found my way to the polariscope, which is, of course, pointing in a totally lunatic angle for viewing from a kneeling position. I found a method which involves lolling across a garden chair so that my eye is more or less right for looking through the scope. But from that position, the Az and El adjustments are awkward to reach and the elevation adjusting bolts are stiff. (I hear they tend to get 'bendy' due to a sub optimal design and that doesn't help). Is it just my aged creaky body or does this happen to everyone?
Now another question:
I went through the procedure and managed to get Polaris in the 'right' place on the circle around the NCP.
The NEQ6 has images of The dipper and Cassiopea on its reticle and, afaics, you have to rotate the reticle so that those images mimic the orientation of the constellations and then frig the Alt and Az to bring Polaris onto the 'spot' on the circle. It seems such a straightforward thing but I guess the method has its limits?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are right angle polar scope adapters available although they can be a bit hard to find. It is also pretty easy to build one using a cheep camera angle finder from ebay and some bits and bobs,

glappkaeft said:
There are right angle polar scope adapters available although they can be a bit hard to find. It is also pretty easy to build one using a cheep camera angle finder from ebay and some bits and bobs,
That could be handy. I might sort out something like that. Alternatively, I could try an alternative way of getting my head in the right place. A sun-lounger, perhaps. But the risk of nodding off to sleep . . . .

What is the polariscope pose in yoga?

The polariscope pose, also known as "Viparita Karani" in Sanskrit, is a restorative yoga pose where the legs are elevated against a wall and the body is supported by the floor. The name comes from the root words "viparita" meaning inverted and "karani" meaning action.

What are the benefits of practicing the polariscope pose?

The polariscope pose has numerous benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety, improving circulation, calming the mind, and relieving tension in the legs and lower back. It can also help with digestion, reduce swelling in the feet and legs, and improve sleep.

Is the polariscope pose suitable for everyone?

While the polariscope pose is generally safe for most people, it may not be suitable for those with certain conditions such as high blood pressure, eye or ear problems, or neck injuries. It is always best to consult with a doctor or certified yoga instructor before attempting this pose.

How do I properly get into the polariscope pose?

To get into the polariscope pose, start by sitting with one hip against the wall and the legs extended. Slowly lay down on the floor and swing the legs up the wall, keeping the hips close to the wall. Use a blanket or pillow under the hips for support if needed. Gently adjust the hips and legs to find a comfortable position.

How long should I hold the polariscope pose?

The polariscope pose can be held for anywhere from 5-20 minutes, depending on your comfort level and experience. It is important to listen to your body and come out of the pose if you start to feel any discomfort. Slowly coming out of the pose by bending the knees and rolling to one side is recommended.

Back