Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You and Newton

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    What modern physics experiments could you, brought back to the time of Newton, have reproduced with then existing technology?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

With static electricity, microscopes and even a poor vacuum, you can do Milliken's oil drop. Of course, when I did it as an undergrad (in the 1980's) using fairly modern equipment (from the 1960's) I got +/- 300% error. Not quite good enough to prove quantization of charge.

Njorl

4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    Njorl,

With an excellent lab partner in freshman advanced physics at Yale, I performed the oil-drop experiment, and from his statistics obtained an e/me accuracy of +/- 1%. My swan song.

I was thinking that Newton could have found an approximation for the blackbody spectrum using prisms.

5. Jan 15, 2004 #4
    Simple demostration of Beurnulli's (sp?) findings on lift. Just hold a piece of paper and blow across the top and watch as the paper rises because of the lower pressure of the high speed air across the top.

6. Jan 16, 2004 #5
    Well they had magnets, and they had copper, so the whole field of electromagnetism would be a good one. Not exactly 'modern' I suppose but once you had some electricity to play with, you could cobble together so many different experiments.......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?