What Force Caused You to Slide Forward on a Bus? Ans: D) None

• Thread starter logan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, the force that caused you to slide forward in the moving bus was the normal force due to your contact with the floor of the bus. Although friction and gravity were both potential forces, it was determined that there was not a force causing you to slide forward. The concept of inertial force was also mentioned, which could be interpreted as gravity in an acceleration frame. Multiple choice tests can be limiting and the answer D was considered the most proper, although other options were discussed.
logan3
You are standing in a moving bus, facing forward, when you suddenly slide forward as the bus
comes to an immediate stop. What force caused you to slide forward?

A) The force due to friction between you and the floor of the bus.
B) Gravity.
C) The normal force due to your contact with the floor of the bus.
D) There is not a force causing you to slide forward.

At first I thought it was the force of friction acting opposite the direction of motion, but I was told the answer's D. I'm not sure how you can experience a change in acceleration without there being a force present.

Physics news on Phys.org
logan3 said:
At first I thought it was the force of friction acting opposite the direction of motion,
If friction acts opposite the direction of motion, how can it make you slide?

logan3 said:
but I was told the answer's D. I'm not sure how you can experience a change in acceleration without there being a force present.
There is no interaction force accelerating you, but in the non-inertial frame of the bus there is an inertial force that accounts for that acceleration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_force

I assume the test is done at a level before non-inertial frames are introduced. So better stick to the inertial frame of the road: The bus accelerates backwards, while you just continue to move forward, which doesn't require any forces. That's why you slide relative to the bus.

Likes logan3
The only force on you is through your feet on the floor of the bus (and your hand if you were smart enough to hold onto a bar). Since the bus is slowing, those are forces are backwards. And, so, your acceleration is backwards. But you already had speed and momentum forwards. Your motion forwards, relative to the bus, is because you are not accelerating (backwards) quite as fast as the bus.

logan3 said:
At first I thought it was the force of friction acting opposite the direction of motion, but I was told the answer's D. I'm not sure how you can experience a change in acceleration without there being a force present.
When you and the bus are heading down the road at 30 km/hr, how fast are you moving? 30 km/hr, of course.

When the bus decelerates to 25 km/hr because of the friction between its tires and the road, how fast are you moving? Still 30 km/hr, of course.

How fast are you approaching the front of the bus? It's moving at 25 km/hr, you're moving at 30 km/hr, it's going to feel as if you've been thrown towards the front of the bus at 5 km/hr, but actually you're just continuing happily (at least until you hit the front of the bus) at the same speed you always were.

The only forces acting on you are friction (between your shoes and the floor of the bus) and if you are unlucky, impact forces when you smash into the front of the bus. These forces are acting to slow you from 30 km/hr to 25 and will eventually get your speed down to that of the bus. But until they do, it will seem as if you arevaccelerating towards the front of the bus; in fact the front of the bus is decelerating while you're not.

logan3 said:
Just to add to what has been said, it is quite true that one cannot experience acceleration without a force. If the question had asked: what force causes you to accelerate? the answer wold have been a). As has been pointed out, the acceleration is in the opposite direction of motion.

This QA frustrates me. I would like to add inertial force as a right choice.
D) is an answer if we do not admit concept of intertial force that appears in non IFR. Words "What force" is trickey.
B) can be an answer. Inertial force can be interpreted as gravity in accerelation frame.

sweet springs said:
This QA frustrates me.

Multiple choice tests are practical for the teacher, but often not fair to the student. They
should be a option: "E) Other (explain): ..."

Thank-you, the idea of fictitious force was exactly what I needed.

Come on people, the answer is obviously D. You can come up with advanced arguments for B, but it's obvious that a student is supposed to put the most proper answer on the test, not the most clever.

Khashishi said:
a student is supposed to put the most proper answer on the test
most proper = least wrong

1. What is the force that causes you to slide forward on a bus?

The force that causes you to slide forward on a bus is the force of inertia. This is because your body tends to maintain its state of motion, and when the bus accelerates or decelerates, your body wants to remain in its original state of motion, causing you to slide forward or backward.

2. Is there a specific direction that the force comes from?

The force of inertia that causes you to slide forward on a bus comes from the direction of the bus's motion. For example, if the bus is accelerating forward, the force will come from the front of the bus, causing you to slide towards the front. If the bus is decelerating, the force will come from the back of the bus, causing you to slide towards the back.

3. Does the force affect everyone on the bus?

Yes, the force of inertia affects everyone on the bus. This is because all objects have inertia and tend to maintain their state of motion. Therefore, when the bus accelerates or decelerates, everyone on the bus experiences the force of inertia and slides in the direction of the bus's motion.

4. Can you prevent yourself from sliding forward on a bus?

Yes, you can prevent yourself from sliding forward on a bus by increasing the friction between you and the seat. This can be done by leaning back against the seat or placing your feet firmly on the floor. This increases the force of static friction, which acts in the opposite direction of the force of inertia and helps keep you in place.

5. Is there a way to reduce the force of inertia on a bus?

The force of inertia on a bus can be reduced by maintaining a constant speed and avoiding sudden changes in direction or acceleration. This will reduce the force acting on your body and minimize the chances of sliding forward or backward on the bus.