Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You can freeze water by heating it? apparently

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    Well i am doing my physics investigation about temperature, and need an interesting effect that takes place at a precise temperature. I remember watching this thing ages ago on discovery. It was about mining and they needed large quantities of ice. So instead of making it by the normal process they did it another way.

There was this huge machine that looked like a mixer. I think it was under high pressure aswell, or it might be low pressure, and they said the ice was made by heating water and doing something to it. As you can see i recall very little. I think it was called the double point of water or something similar.

Does anyone know about this? Please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2
    heating the water to distill it and make it more pure so it has a lower freezing temp?
  4. Mar 10, 2005 #3
    if you compress water enough, will the molecular structure break and reform as a very thick ice???
  5. Mar 10, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you put greater pressure on ice (as in skating) it melts. That is very important in skating and curling, for example - and in driving on snow near 0 deg. C.

Conversely, when you reduce pressure on water at 0 degrees, it freezes more rapidly. If you can't get the temperature of water down below freezing, just reduce the pressure enough and it will turn to ice. When you reapply normal pressure, it will start to melt but the latent heat of water means that it will not melt immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?