You couldn't make this stuff up

• News
  • Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary: Wait, what?In summary, the author discusses how the recent increase in terrorism has put stress on individuals and how occupational therapy can help. They also mention how the Bush administration has been frightening the American population and how Katrina has shown how the government can react toterror.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You couldn't make this stuff up !

I understand that it is common in US politics to tack your own little special-interest bill onto the end of a major piece of legislation in return for your support - but normally this is at least done rather quietly!

Having had the retroactive immunity for illeagal wiretaps bill rejected - they found the ideal bill to attach it to - and then made a speech defending this!

“This bill is intended to ensure the mental health of Americans; yet, no American’s health can be fully secured if they are under attack by a terrorist or facing the potential threat of terrorist attack,”
Representative Peter Hoekstra , R-Mich., said last week on the floor of the House of Representatives, in support of his attempt to amend the Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act.

Physics news on Phys.org
My mental health is far more adversely affected by the threat of a tyrannical government than it is by terrorists. And the fact that we see such a ludicrous effort to undermine the Constitution makes it downright Orwellian.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
My mental health is far more adversely affected by the threat of a tyrannical government than it is by terrorists. And the fact that we see such a ludicrous effort to undermine the Constitution makes it downright Orwellian.

I second that! Even if the government as is could be trusted with absolute power it is absurd to assume it will remain so.

mgb_phys said:
Having had the retroactive immunity for illeagal wiretaps bill rejected - they found the ideal bill to attach it to - and then made a speech defending this!

“This bill is intended to ensure the mental health of Americans; yet, no American’s health can be fully secured if they are under attack by a terrorist or facing the potential threat of terrorist attack,”
Representative Peter Hoekstra , R-Mich., said last week on the floor of the House of Representatives, in support of his attempt to amend the Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act.
To have this shady amendment attached to a bill originated by arguably the most honest and clean politician of the last century is such a travesty!

mgb_phys said:
I understand that it is common in US politics to tack your own little special-interest bill onto the end of a major piece of legislation in return for your support - but normally this is at least done rather quietly!

But you are wrong..

http://www.aotf.org/html/rn_added_stress.shtml" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: Sure it is not an April's Fool joke ?

This week's Health section of the Washington Post addressed the additional assault of terrorism on the psyche and emotions of individuals already challenged by mental illness. Across the country, community mental health services and support groups are experiencing the same surge in numbers, as are houses of worship. For this week, I gathered references on the role of occupational therapy in addressing anxiety, panic, fear, stress, or crisis intervention with this population.
It's not like the present administration is providing false or misleading information to justify invading another country, or repeating phrases like "But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud," or putting out terror alerts. Oh, wait - they are.

Bush et al have done plenty to cause alarm or fear in the American psyche, and it appears to be rather deliberate.

And then look at the administrations response to Katrina.

To be honest, having lived with terror for most of my childhood and adult life, I find Americas reaction to be more like hysteria. But then I suppose that's how I would of felt if I wasn't used to it. This terrorist threat thing is way less scary than the IRA thing, and once the funding from the US dried up from that, then it was dead in the water. I'm hoping the same will happen with Al-Qaeda, that slowly but surely they will dry up, but, I'm thinking not being in the ME is the only way that's going to calm down also, whatever is the best time frame for that.

Around here there's more chance of a wolverine ripping my legs off than a terrorist doing a number on the local Starbucks.

Well, not quite... some store-owners blew-up their Taco restaurant to collect insurance recently and took out the Starbucks next door. However, more frequently, there are wolverines driven into the this locale during forest fire season.

The govt's (and corporations) of the world think they need to instill fear in the civilians to keep them down and under control (and buying arms).

What would the world look like if we just cooperated with each other and the environment? I have a feeling everyone would get what they need or want.

editBTW... I am so impressed with congressman Waxman. I have really enjoyed the interviews with him by PBS. If anyone will keep America on track, upfront and honest this guy will.

Last edited:
baywax said:
Around here there's more chance of a wolverine ripping my legs off than a terrorist doing a number on the local Starbucks.

Well, not quite... some store-owners blew-up their Taco restaurant to collect insurance recently and took out the Starbucks next door. However, more frequently, there are wolverines driven into the this locale during forest fire season.

The govt's (and corporations) of the world think they need to instill fear in the civilians to keep them down and under control (and buying arms).

What would the world look like if we just cooperated with each other and the environment? I have a feeling everyone would get what they need or want.

editBTW... I am so impressed with congressman Waxman. I have really enjoyed the interviews with him by PBS. If anyone will keep America on track, upfront and honest this guy will.

Waxman's great! He drives my friends on the right absolutely crazy :tongue2: !

1. What does "You couldn't make this stuff up" mean?

"You couldn't make this stuff up" is a phrase used to express disbelief or incredulity about a situation or story. It implies that the event or story is so unbelievable or absurd that it could not have been made up by someone's imagination.

2. Is "You couldn't make this stuff up" a scientific term?

No, "You couldn't make this stuff up" is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial phrase used in everyday language to convey surprise or disbelief.

3. Can you give an example of a situation where "You couldn't make this stuff up" would be used?

Sure, for example, if someone told you that they witnessed a car being chased by a group of llamas down the highway, you might respond with "You couldn't make this stuff up!" because the situation seems too bizarre to be true.

4. Is there a similar phrase to "You couldn't make this stuff up" in other languages?

Yes, there are similar phrases in other languages, such as the Spanish phrase "No lo podrías inventar" or the French phrase "On ne pourrait pas inventer ça." They all convey the same idea of disbelief or incredulity about a situation.

5. Can the phrase "You couldn't make this stuff up" be used in a positive context?

Yes, the phrase can be used in a positive context to express amazement or admiration for something that is truly remarkable. For example, if someone told you about a scientist who discovered a cure for a previously incurable disease, you might respond with "You couldn't make this stuff up!" to express your awe and admiration.