1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You drag a suitcase of mass 10 kg with a force of F at an angle 48 with respect to

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    A) You drag a suitcase of mass 10 kg with a
    force of F at an angle 48 with respect to
    the horizontal along a surface with kinetic
    coefficient of friction 0.32.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
    If the suitcase is moving with constant
    velocity 2.25 m/s, what is F?
    Answer in units of N

B) What is the normal force on the suitcase?
    Answer in units of N

C) If you pull the suitcase 66.1 m, what work
    have you done?
    Answer in units of J

D) If you are accelerating the suitcase with acceleration
    1.43 m/s2 what is F?
    Answer in units of N

I tried 46.511 for part A n got it wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Re: You drag a suitcase of mass 10 kg with a force of F at an angle 48 with respect t

You're going to have to show more work, not just say you tossed in a value and got the incorrect answer.

That said, since you haven't shown any work, I'll give you an idea of how to attack the first part of the problem.

a) The suitcase is moving at a constant speed, so the force of friction is equal (but opposite in direction) to the force on the suitcase in the direction of motion (the x-component of F). Keep in mind that F has a y component when you calculate the frictional force.

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    Re: You drag a suitcase of mass 10 kg with a force of F at an angle 48 with respect t

I did .32*(mg-sin48) divided by cos 48 and got 46.511

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook