You have a cup, it has a mass of 1 Kg.

• Thread starter STAii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the weight of a cup and liquid on a weight scale, and the weight of an object attached to a spring-scale. The question is asked about the density of the liquid, and two different approaches are discussed. One person suggests finding the real weight of the object by subtracting the weight of the cup and liquid from the reading on the weight scale, while the other person suggests using a free body diagram to determine the real weight of the object. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the latter approach is correct and the density of the liquid can be found by dividing the volume of the object by the difference between the weight scale readings.
STAii
You have a cup, it has a mass of 1 Kg.
In the cup is a liquid, with a mass of 1.5 Kg.
the Cup (and liquid) are on a weight scale (call it X).
We have another object, with known volume (call it V), attached to a spring-scale from upwards (call it Y).
The object was put inside the liquid (not floating), X reads 7.5*g N, Y reads 2.5*g N, what is the density of the liquid.
Now, what most people i know did is that they said :
The weight of cup and liquid = (1+1.5)*g = 2.5*g N
And since scale X reads 7.5*g N, then the real (not apparent) weight of the object must be 5*g N (and they start to solve from there).
What i have made is that i drew a free body diagram, and i reached the conclusion that the real weight of the object is 7.5*g N.
Who do u think is right ?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now, what most people i know did is that they said :
The weight of cup and liquid = (1+1.5)*g = 2.5*g N
And since scale X reads 7.5*g N, then the real (not apparent) weight of the object must be 5*g N (and they start to solve from there).

Not quite: the "Y" scale is supporting SOME of the weight.
The total weight of all parts: cup, fluid and object is the sum of the readings of X and Y: (7.5+ 2.5)g N= 10g N. Since we know that the cup and fluid together weigh 2.5g N it follows that weight of the object is, as you say, 10gN- 2.5gN= 7.5g Newtons.

The difference between that and the 2.5g N reading of the Y scale (i.e. 5.0g N) is the bouyancy of the fluid. It is equal to the volume of fluid displaced (and since it is not floating, that is the volume of the object) times the density of the fluid. You have the equation dV= 5 so that d, the density of the fluid is given by 5/V

Just as i expected.
Thanks !

1. What is the weight of the cup in Newtons?

The weight of the cup is 9.8 Newtons, because weight is equal to mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How is the mass of the cup measured?

The mass of the cup is typically measured using a scale or balance, which compares the mass of the cup to a known mass.

3. Can the mass of the cup change?

Yes, the mass of the cup can change if any matter is added or removed from it. For example, if water is poured into the cup, its mass will increase.

4. Is the mass of the cup the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the mass of the cup will remain constant no matter where it is in the universe. However, its weight (due to the acceleration of gravity) may vary depending on the strength of gravity in different locations.

5. How does the mass of the cup affect its inertia?

The mass of the cup directly affects its inertia, which is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia, meaning it will be harder to accelerate or decelerate the cup.