You just might get what you wish for

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, Lisa would prefer free will, divine determination, and self-control, but would be willing to vote for fulfillment of wishes if it meant getting what she wanted.

Which would you most prefer?

• Free will

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Divine determination

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Self-control

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Fulfillment of wishes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • See below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Loren Booda
Which would you most prefer - free will, divine determination, self-control or fulfillment of wishes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...well, I already have free will. Self-control? Yep, pretty much have that too. Divine determination...I don't believe in supernatural, so I can't have that, even if I wanted it.

So that leaves fulfillment of wishes...oh yeah, that's exactly what I want :wink:.

...so why is "see below" an option? Why would I vote for "see below"?

Couldn't I wish for free will? How is this not the strictly superior option?

Anyone who votes for anything else simply isn't trying to game the system

Lisa,

I looked below the poll, and there you were!

Shredder,

Next time I'll try a poll with more options.

Office_Shredder said:
Couldn't I wish for free will? How is this not the strictly superior option?

Anyone who votes for anything else simply isn't trying to game the system

OK, I'll be your fairy godmother. <swish, swish of the magic wand!> Poof! You have free will!

How do I know I freely chose to have free will though? I'm concerned that I didn't have a choice in making this decision, and demand to be sent back to my original state

Everyone has free will. Some may not realize it, and some may choose not to use it. But we're all born with it.

I would wish for fulfillment of all wishes and then just wish for the other three (after the big house, fast car and "norwegian lesbians that feed me grapes and know how to sing")

what do you mean by free will?

Georgepowell said:
what do you mean by free will?

i think it means self-control.

The way I use it, free will differs from self-control (for the most part) in that the former is more inclusive and physical, while the latter is less inclusive and physiological.

I said self control..
wishes can be endless.

Loren Booda said:
Lisa,

I looked below the poll, and there you were!

Oh, man, I wish I could change my choice.

But, like you said, be careful or just might get what you wish for. What if Astronuc had been the person right below the poll - he's too hairy!

Loren Booda said:
The way I use it, free will differs from self-control (for the most part) in that the former is more inclusive and physical, while the latter is less inclusive and physiological.

now that I've had more time to soak in the idea, i do wonder if one could ever feel true pleasure if you had perfect self-control. so many of life's greatest pleasures seem to involve a certain amount of letting go.

I wish for a better memory mine is like a 100yr old capacitor.

Free will for me. Fulfillment of my wishes would have cost me, and others, a lot over the past few decades. I already have self-control, but chose to not exercise it. Divine intervention isn't an option, since there is no supreme being. Why wasn't there an option involving Jell-O?

1. What does the phrase "you just might get what you wish for" mean?

The phrase "you just might get what you wish for" means that there is a possibility that your desires or wishes will come true. It implies that sometimes, our wishes or hopes may actually be granted.

2. Is there any truth to the saying "be careful what you wish for"?

Yes, there is some truth to the saying "be careful what you wish for". This phrase is often used as a warning that our wishes may not always turn out as we expect them to. It reminds us to think carefully about our desires and their potential consequences.

3. Can wishing for something actually make it come true?

In a literal sense, no, wishing for something cannot make it come true. However, having a strong desire or wish for something can motivate us to take action towards achieving it, increasing the likelihood of it becoming a reality.

4. What factors contribute to whether or not your wishes come true?

There are many factors that can influence whether or not your wishes come true. Some of these include your level of determination and effort towards achieving your wish, external circumstances, and the support and resources available to you.

5. Are there any risks or downsides to getting what you wish for?

Yes, there can be risks or downsides to getting what you wish for. Sometimes, our wishes may not align with our true values or may not bring us the happiness we thought they would. Additionally, achieving our wishes may also come with unexpected challenges or sacrifices.