Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You know this

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    When a photon hits an atom it gets absorbed and an electron moves one or more shells up depending on the energy of the photon. When a bigger, many-electron atom gets hit by a photon, can the electrons in the lower shells get excited? I mean when they move up they have to remove the electrons in the higher shells? Is that happening?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2
    "The permission for an electron to move a shell up is granted by an electron in the upper shell "

An electron can only move in the upper shell only if:
    Upper electron is ready to pair up.
    Upper electron leaves the shell after excitation and leaves its site vacant.

4. Jun 14, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes it can. This is what happens in core-level photoemission spectroscopy, and also what happens in Auger spectroscopy, for examples.

Zz.

Oops.. correction. Auger spectroscopy is typically caused by high-energy electrons exciting the core-level electrons. Only in some cases is soft x-ray used to initiate the process. So only core-level photoemission is the completely valid example in there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  5. Jun 15, 2005 #4
    Ratzinger, you are THE PF member with the best username, in my opinion.

way to go...

PAX VOBISCUM , ET CUM SPIRITU TUO

marlon

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  6. Jun 15, 2005 #5
    Thank you, marlon, I will include you in my prayers. I assume you are a fan of the "Godfather". Heard recently Steven Spielberg saying that he watched Part I at least 100 times and that's without question the best movie ever made. He also meant that Part II doesn't even come close to the first one, because it tries too hard to be art.
    What do you make of that?

CARPE DIEM (actually took three years latin in school, but that's all what's left)

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6
    Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults. Part two has the best cinematography, best scenario and best screen play. But, nothing tops the acting achievement of Marlon Brando in part one. De Niro comes close in part two and Pacino gives the best performance in part three. However, Don Vito Corleone is ... astonishingly ... brought to life by Brando...it is something very special.

Of all movie characters i have seen, only the Salieri character (F Murray Abraham) in AMADEUS and Jack Nicholson in The Shining, come close to the same quality...

don't worry, it is the same here...

marlon

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also look into EXAFS. There's a nice review located in our Links Directory : https://www.physicsforums.com/local_links.php?action=links&catid=13

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8
    Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults.
    What about „Schindler’s list“?

Part two has the best cinematography, best scenario and best screen play. But, nothing tops the acting achievement of Marlon Brando in part one. De Niro comes close in part two and Pacino gives the best performance in part three. However, Don Vito Corleone is ... astonishingly ... brought to life by Brando...it is something very special.

Have nothing to add.

Of all movie characters i have seen, only the Salieri character (F Murray Abraham) in AMADEUS and Jack Nicholson in The Shining, come close to the same quality...

I think „The Shining“ is the creepiest movie ever made. Did Nicholson get an Oscar for that? Recently saw Kubrick’s “Path of Glory” the first time. Great movie. Haven’t seen “Amadeus” in a long time, but I constantly hear people saying how great it is.

What about “Goodfellas”? I know, many have a problem with Ray Liotta, but if I had to decide, then this has to be my all-time favourite movie. Speaking of Oscars, it’s just embarrassing that Scorcese is still waiting.

Talking of great acting performance, Marlon, what about “On the waterfront”?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  10. Jun 15, 2005 #9
    ok, i'll give you that one :)

No he did not;;;

i have seen it like ten times and still i discover something new;;;

ps : be film-music ever :wink:

seconded; Liotta is great

Indeed, besides Brando won his first oscar with this movie...

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?