Is ROLF the New ROFL? The Science Behind Nerd Culture and Internet Slang

• Thread starter rick1138
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by ThePerfectHacker I thought I was nerd, but apparently not. Thanks guys...hey...i say LOL in real life..DOH! [b(]i say ROFL a lot in RL:\but the way I say it is ROLF, instead of ROFL. In summary, the conversation covers various traits and behaviors that are commonly associated with being a nerd, including an obsession with computers and technology, difficulty with social interactions, and the use of internet abbreviations in real life. The conversation also includes humorous examples and personal anecdotes from different individuals.
rick1138
Your computer costs more than your car.

Physics news on Phys.org
You walk into a cofee shop and order a 2-torus instead of a bagel.

Originally posted by rick1138
Your computer costs more than your car.

Or if you don't own a car, because you're saving up for more computers. :smile:

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
You spend Friday nights with your computer.

That isn't funny Greg

You can explain the differences between DDR, and SDRAM, name off the layers of the OSI layer model, know the difference between 182.1 and 182.3 topology, "LL" means something to you, and you owned a computer BEFORE there was Aol, but yet you still can't name the basic components of an automobile engine, let alone the 4 engine cycles.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zantra
You can explain the differences between DDR, and SDRAM, name off the layers of the OSI layer model, know the difference between 182.1 and 182.2 topology, "LL" means something to you, and you owned a computer BEFORE there was Aol, but yet you still can't name the basic components of an automobile engine, let alone the 4 engine cycles.
What makes you think the same nerd doesn't know both LL grammars and overhead cams? Some nerds are pretty versatile...

Oh, and DDR is a *type* of SDRAM.

- Warren

My bad. was referring to double density ram vs single density. And You're right it was a bad example. I had too many jumkers not to know the basics (compression,gas/oil, spark, decompression)

...You can assemble a computer in fifteen minutes from spare parts in you bedroom, but you can't put together a good shirt and pants combination no matter how much time you have.

Originally posted by Artman
...You can assemble a computer in fifteen minutes from spare parts in you bedroom, but you can't put together a good shirt and pants combination no matter how much time you have.

HEY! I resemble that remark!

-Ty

Originally posted by twizted1
HEY! I resemble that remark!

-Ty

Who needs clothes that match when you can have a room full of spare computer parts! :smile:

Originally posted by Artman
Who needs clothes that match when you can have a room full of spare computer parts! :smile:

Hey now! i have clothes that match...blue jeans match everything! Its just when it gets more complicated than that that I screw it up! black belt black shoes brown shirt you know stuff like that...

YOU ARE A NERD IF...

You try to enter your password on the microwave.

You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.

You e-mail your mate who works at the desk next to you.

Your reason for not staying in touch with friends is that they do not have e-mail addresses.

When you go home after a long day at work you still answer the phone in a business manner.

When you make phone calls from home, you accidentally insert a "1" to get an outside line.

Your CV is on a disk in your pocket.

Your biggest loss from a system crash was when you lost all of your best jokes.

Your supervisor doesn't have the ability to do your job.

Your relatives and family describe your job as "works with computers".

You read this list, and kept nodding and smiling.

You schedule your important meetings for Saturday nights.

You say LOL in real life

You name your computer...including the cpu, the motherboard, the RAM, the keyboard

The last sunset you've seen is from a wallpaper

You have more Online friends than real life friends

You haven't listened to a CD in years

Last edited:
You use internet abbreviations like "brb" in real life.

You find it difficult to write snail mail without emoticons.

Your computer time is constantly interrupted by such nuisances as eating and sleeping.

You contribute to "You know you are a nerd if..." threads on an online forum.

...If you begin to explain something about a computer and the person you are telling clouds over and says, "All I'm hearing is blah, blah, blah, blah." you are probably a nerd.

(I get this all the time.)

Originally posted by jimmy p

Your relatives and family describe your job as "works with computers".

I HATE that. I can't stand when people say "oh, he works with computers".

I thought I was nerd, but apparently not. Thanks guys

...hey...i say LOL in real life..DOH! [b(]

i say ROFL a lot in RL:\

but the way I say it is ROLF, instead of ROFL.

1. What are some common signs that you are a nerd?

Some common signs that you are a nerd include being passionate about a particular subject or hobby, having extensive knowledge about a niche topic, enjoying intellectual discussions, and being socially awkward or introverted.

2. Is being a nerd a negative thing?

No, being a nerd is not a negative thing. It simply means that you have a strong interest and enthusiasm for certain topics or activities. Embracing your nerdy side can lead to personal growth and fulfillment.

3. Can someone be a nerd and still be cool?

Yes, absolutely! Being a nerd and being cool are not mutually exclusive. In fact, many people find intelligence and passion for certain subjects to be attractive qualities.

4. Are all nerds good at math and science?

No, not all nerds are good at math and science. While these subjects may be popular among nerds, there are many other areas of interest that can fall under the category of "nerdy". For example, someone may be a music nerd, a book nerd, or a history nerd.

5. How can I embrace my nerdy side without feeling self-conscious?

One way to embrace your nerdy side is to find a supportive community of like-minded individuals who share your interests. This can help you feel more confident and accepted in expressing your passions. It's also important to remember that being a nerd is nothing to be ashamed of and should be celebrated!