Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You think we should pull out of Iraq?

1. yes

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Undecided

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Mar 10, 2007 #1
    Just want ot see the majority opinions

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But you have 0 posts?

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Posts in GD and P&WA are not counted in your post count.

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know, but I find it odd that someone signed up and went right to the politics section to ask such a question.

Sounds like a lurker or something just going around the internet looking for quick statistics. But in reality, you need to know more about the members here to understand where the statistics are coming from.

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5
    Yeah, I agree that we cant stay there forever and we desperately need to leave but if we just got up and left right now they would tear themselves apart. for now we've just gotta stay put until they are ready

7. Mar 11, 2007 #6
    are you taking a poll of the scientific community or something?

8. Mar 11, 2007 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Iraq war will be notable in history as the biggest military blunder by the US, may even eclipse the USSRs invasion of Afghanistan for the biggest military blunder in recorded history.

Unfortunately pulling out will not fix the mess that we have made, OTOH, staying will not fix the mess either. When in the future will be a good time to get out? Perhaps never. Therefore the conclusion must be we have to cut our losses and get out ASAP. There will NEVER be a GOOD time to leave. We are pouring money down a rat hole, while the US military is being trashed. This is a lose lose situation for the US.

What do I base my opinions on? Certainly not the evening news.. I don't watch it.

My opinions are based on my years of reading military history. I have read extensively of Napoleon's campaigns and battlefield tactics, I have read Oman, Clausewitz and many other solid military history's.

From all aspects the current situation was predicable, anyone with a bit of knowledge of our history in the middle east could see the current situation as the only possible result.

Even GWB in jail, as he so richly deserves, will not fix the mess he has got us into.
    There may be no repair, a significantly possible outcome may be the end of the US era of supremacy and possibly even the end of civilization as we know it.

9. Mar 11, 2007 #8
    I believe our Iraq involvement after Sadam was a noble idea but, as my father once said, they aren't fighting for their freedom like we did. They won't appreciate something they didn't fight for. Democracy is not something that needs to be pushed, it's something that is available if the price is willing to be paid for it. So, yeah, we should leave and be available to aid them if that is something the people really show that they want.

10. Mar 11, 2007 #9
    ^^another person who has no posts?^^

this war is only getting worse but we dont have enough options right now

11. Mar 11, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

seems suspicious to me, too.

12. Mar 11, 2007 #11
    seems like someone who wants to be able to say 'well, a poll on scientists says that the most educated people in our community think that this war is a (good/bad) idea' so he can look like he knows what hes talking about. just out to get a good arguement to make him seem good in front of his friends. you've also gotta notice the inaccuracies in the way this poll is taken. for a scientific community, this was a poorly conducted survey if you want accurate and reliable results. its in a thread of a sub-section of a section of a forum. the only people who will take this pole are the only people who want to talk about iraq, leaving out the members who just look over this topic and dismiss it without answering the poll.

13. Mar 12, 2007 #12
    Seems a reasonable way to test the waters of political opinion in a forum to me.

14. Mar 12, 2007 #13
    Hey, I've been on this board before more than a year ago. My login was deckart. I'm no lurk. I've since changed my legal name. That's the extent I will explain why I'm back with "no posts". Anyways, back to the topic. :)

15. Mar 12, 2007 #14

russ_watters

That's a pretty strong statement considering the magnitude of the Soviet losses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_in_Afghanistan
    Perhaps if the Iraq war continues for another 40 years....

As with Vietnam, there is a pretty simple reason why that war was so bad - we heavily supported the insurrection. With the possible exception of Iran, Iraq today isn't getting much outside support and as a result, our losses are a good order of magnitude smaller than theirs.

Besides - worst in history? Napoleon may get the prize for that. Or how 'bout Saddam Hussein? He miscalculated pretty badly in 1990. Starting an agressive war that results in your own death would have to rank pretty high too. Hitler was crazy, but WWII was still a pretty big failure for him.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. Mar 12, 2007 #15

EL

Science Advisor

It depends on what you count as a "blunder". If you define it by the number of dead soldiers there are worse candidates. But in my eyes a "blunder" is a mistake, and what can beat going to war for the completely false reason (or really without reason), and then end up trapped in a loose-loose situation?

17. Mar 12, 2007 #16
    First of all I don't agree with the reason put for going to Iraq..If there were no nucs. I still have no idea why are we there. Both Sunis and ****tes want us out of there. majority says get out why are we still there. I don't think the politicians care.

18. Mar 12, 2007 #17
    Why don't we just bring Iraq here? That way we're not pulling out, and our troops get to come home.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  19. Mar 12, 2007 #18

russ_watters

Hey, I'm not saying it is a great situation, but certainly starting a war that gets you killed has to be worse.

20. Mar 12, 2007 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought the War of 1812 was pretty bad. Actually, it was quite sad for the Americans.

I know you guys help Canadians a lot, but it was bad.

21. Mar 12, 2007 #20
    If you read the book Demon in the Freezer you'll see that they had reason to beleive that iraq was making weapons of mass destruction, and biological weapons of mass desruction can be made easily and are far too deadly for that matter. When people hear of WMDs they think of nukes, but it goes beyond that, to chemical and biological weapons. there was evidence at the time supporting that he had an antrhax (or even perhaps smallpox) cultivation project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?