Have You Seen the Physics Demo of a Physicist Tied to the Side of a Building?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: They should have had a little more thermal mass in those axes, they were slowing down too quickly.The other question is, how many takes did it take to get it right?In summary, a physicist tied himself to the side of a building to demonstrate the competing forces of gravity and tension. The video shows the planning and execution of the demonstration, which involved careful consideration of rope length and mass ratios. While the trick may have been seen before on television, it is still impressive and raises questions about the number of takes needed to achieve the desired effect.
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
Astronuc beat you to it. That is a great demo. Love the way that it combines so many competing forces. :woot:

Drat! Well, I don't mind if we delete this.

Edit: why did he post this in "random thoughts"? Who read such a thread anyway?!

(Runs and hides)

Zz.

I think that it would be a great topic for discussion. I would love to see what's going on in detail.

If you replaced the real person with a teddy bear or something, this would be kind of cool for a school science demonstration kind of thing. Maybe a bit of misdirection in the form of a bucket for teddy to drop in to. Show them the setup and ask them to guess what'll happen. Not sure I'd get that right coming at it cold.

Without having done the maths, I suspect rope length is critical so you could vary that. Also the ratio of masses, I should think.

I know some people I will suggest this to...

Here's some of the planning that went into it.

And, the full video of the demo.

I saw this before I think it was on discovery channel's breaking magic.

Still a neat trick.

1. What is a physics demo?

A physics demo is a demonstration or experiment that showcases the principles and concepts of physics in a visual and interactive way. It can involve hands-on activities, simulations, or live demonstrations.

2. Why are physics demos important?

Physics demos help students understand and visualize complex concepts by engaging them in a fun and interactive manner. They also allow students to see the real-world applications of physics and how it relates to everyday life.

3. What are some common physics demos?

Some common physics demos include pendulum motion, conservation of energy, projectile motion, and electricity and magnetism experiments. These demos can be performed using simple materials such as balls, magnets, and household objects.

4. How can I incorporate physics demos into my teaching?

You can incorporate physics demos into your teaching by planning and preparing ahead of time, making sure you have all the necessary materials and safety precautions in place. You can also use demos to introduce new concepts, reinforce previous lessons, or as a fun way to review before exams.

5. Are there any safety considerations when performing physics demos?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when performing physics demos. It is important to carefully read and follow all instructions and safety guidelines, use appropriate safety equipment, and supervise students at all times. It is also recommended to perform a risk assessment before conducting any demos.