Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You would have noticed right?

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    I went to the store a little while ago and as I was walking around I saw a sign: "Coconuts in the hush" so I looked at a lady next to me and I said "Shhhhh" and pointed at the sign. She just looked at me like I was dangerous. I tried explaining that it should be husk, not hush, but she wouldn't even look at me.
    Then I went up front and I was cashing in a lottery ticket. There was another sign that said: "One of our customers just won $1000 playing JUST FOR LUCK. Play JUST FOR LUCK and win up to $500." I said okay, who's lying? And the manager got upset with me saying, "I know this guy personally." I said, "So this guy won $1000 playing a game with a $500 top prize? Wow, he is lucky." And the manager just walked away and I don't think he understood what I was talking about.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps there was something hanging out of your nose? Did you check a mirror?

Can I mention that I am at work and still waiting to get access to all of the systems I need? It's Friday, everyone else is going home. I AM BORED.

Make some more threads trib, I need something to do.

And I am sorry to hear that you died from the 2003 solar flare.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a sign in my grocery store that read: "FOR THE SAFTY DO NOT SHUCKS THE CORNS"

- Warren

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I never knew shucking corn was dangerous.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5
    shucking? isn't. something that rhymes with it can be very hazardous

7. Sep 12, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Actually, I pert-near sliced my thumb off as a child shucking corn.

8. Sep 12, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you should get the name of the winner and give him a call to find out how he forged the winning ticket. :uhh:

(If it's a scratch off game, it could be that all the top prizes have already been given out, so they know there is nothing higher than $500 left to win.)

9. Sep 12, 2008 #8
    I've had similar experiences when trying off-the-cuff humor with people I don't know. They look at me like the men in white coats just let me out, which is not usually the case. I don't think people can readily connect with some stranger's sense of humor. Some warm up is required.

10. Sep 12, 2008 #9
    We were both together in the produce aisle. What more do you need.

And Moonbear, I thought the same thing about the scratchers, but nope they say right on the front win up to $500

11. Sep 12, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have found exactly the same thing.

I attribute it to the fact that, with a stranger, you don't know the context of the comment. They could be a loony, or a powderkeg. To laugh with someone, you have to be at least somewhat comfortable with them.

12. Sep 12, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...so there HAVE been times when the men in white coats had just let you out? :uhh:

She must have thought you were hitting on her. Isn't that where you're supposed to meet other singles, in the produce aisle? Buying cucumbers and coconuts surely would be more attractive than squeezing the Charmin, right?

*poof* Oh well, there goes another brilliant idea. :rolleyes:

13. Sep 12, 2008 #12
    Sure, I've been allowed out in the yard a few times. The fence is not all that high, and you get used to the barbed wire. I made it to the produce aisle once or twice.

14. Sep 12, 2008 #13
    Like when they used the "back to school supplies" posters in the meat department.
    Back to school chicken breasts $1.29 lb. And I asked the meat counter people, how much chicken is required per semester?

Only I laughed:uhh:

15. Sep 12, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should have whipped out your Sharpie pen and corrected the sign - "Play JUST FOR LUCH."

I'm sure the manager would have called police.

16. Sep 13, 2008 #15
    At the groups I am going to the 'couselors' seem to be seriously lacking in intelligence. Just this morning I saw that one of them had written on the chalk board in giant letters "Pschology" and underneath it refered to "Nuerotranmitters". I think maybe a couple of her synapses had a lapse.

17. Sep 13, 2008 #16
    Even if no one else will, I'll give you credit. clever

18. Sep 14, 2008 #17
    You're like my older brother Jim: he's the same type to stick it to people, and they don't even know. That's pretty funny.

19. Sep 14, 2008 #18

I one tried to explain to a manager that my vacuum cleaner really sucked, but he just wouldn't do anything about it.

"No, no sir: I'm telling you that it really sucks."

"Well gee wiz, isn't it supposed to?"

20. Sep 14, 2008 #19
    Big deal. If I had 5 cents for every time I've won $1000 in a $500 contest, I'd be rich.

Heard yesterday at IKEA: This cart has a turning radius of zero degrees.

21. Sep 14, 2008 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Similar occurance with a stupid woman at the checkout in Tesco last week. I'd been queueing for about 10 minutes, and when I finally got served she said "sorry about the wait". I said "that's ok, I've lost half a stone in the last month" and she just stared at me, even though it was hilarious and I'm a comic legend.

Idiot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?