You young whippersnappers have the lamest sense of humour

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, Rick Astley was discovered by record producer Pete Waterman and mentored by production trio Stock Aitken Waterman, leading to his successful career as a singer. He is often mistaken for being black, and has been referenced in various comedic acts.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just don't get this RickRolling thing.

I mean, fads usually have some sort of punchline, but this doesn't seem to.

If this were an office running gag, it would be 'Ha ha I've moved your chair. You've been chair-moved!'

It's the kind of joke Family Guy's Chris Griffin would love.

You might as well redirect your target to a 404 page.

I'm serious. Am I missing something?

(And yes, I realize I have painted a big 'RickRoll Me!' target on my forehead.)

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I just don't get this RickRolling thing.

I mean, fads usually have some sort of punchline, but this doesn't seem to.

If this were an office running gag, it would be 'Ha ha I've moved your chair. You've been chair-moved!'

It's the kind of joke Family Guy's Chris Griffin would love.

You might as well redirect your target to a 404 page.I'm serious. Am I missing something?

(And yes, I realize I have painted a big 'RickRoll Me!' target on my forehead.)

Beats me. They seem to be doing this everywhere, and some of the links are rather malicious and take over browsers (if any do that here, report them...videos are one thing, browser hijacks are another...call me humorless if I start deleting them, I don't care.)

I could appreciate it if it was done on April Fool's day...we all enjoy a good prank that day, but this just goes on and on. I guess we just have to admit we're getting old Dave, that whole "Ooh, that was funny, do it again...ooh, that was funny, do it again...ooh, that was funny, do it again..." repetition just seems juvenile rather than funny to us old fogeys.

(Hint: You can just hover the mouse over any links and look at the address displayed on the bottom of the browser window to see if it matches what the link claims to be...if it doesn't, don't click.)

Last edited:
:rofl:

Dave, you are SO setting yourself up to get Rick Rolled for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!

The Funny comes from the timing, not the content. Always.

You get in a heated debate on some issue like abortion, politics, religion, whatever. And then you post that link.

It's like playing tug-of-war. The other person is so intent on winning that when you make a funny they look stupid.

I did a little further research, and found the answer to my question in a Fox news article by way of Digg:

"It's gone from silly Internet prank to entering the mainstream, so a lot of people are being elitist about it, saying it's beating a dead horse, and it has kind of lost its appeal," moot said. "At the end of the day, it's just a link where you get a guy singing an '80s pop song. There's only so far you can delve into the intricacies."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352010,00.html

I seem to have caught it right at this last point, when its run its course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chair-moved!

LOL!

DaveC426913 said:
I did a little further research, and found the answer to my question in a Fox news article by way of Digg:

"It's gone from silly Internet prank to entering the mainstream, so a lot of people are being elitist about it, saying it's beating a dead horse, and it has kind of lost its appeal," moot said. "At the end of the day, it's just a link where you get a guy singing an '80s pop song. There's only so far you can delve into the intricacies."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352010,00.html

I seem to have caught it right at this last point, when its run its course.

Don't you EVER listen to Fox News regarding matters of the internet, got it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Chair-moved!

LOL!

Sounds like something they would do on Office Space.

Poop-Loops said:

Luckily, I've never heard of Rick Rolling, and I have no intention of investigating it. I will, however, amend your quote: Don't you EVER listen to Fox News regarding anything, got it?

It's mildly amusing but it got old fast and now most people just think it's lame, like any other internet sensation it will soon hopefully be deader than chocolate rain.

Poop-Loops said:
Yes. No. Of course not. But I doubt even they could screw this one up.

DaveC426913 said:
I doubt even they could screw this one up.

Never underestimate the power of an idiot.

Danger said:
Luckily, I've never heard of Rick Rolling, and I have no intention of investigating it. I will, however, amend your quote: Don't you EVER listen to Fox News regarding anything, got it?

Danger, I wasn't aware you get FAUX news - whoops, I mean FOX news - in Canada. My sincere appologies.

lisab said:
Danger, I wasn't aware you get FAUX newsin Canada.
It's how we learn about America - you get "Yvon of the Yukon" in return.

lisab said:
Danger, I wasn't aware you get FAUX news - whoops, I mean FOX news - in Canada. My sincere appologies.
I too am in Canada. Though Danger might not consider it so, being that the sun rises and sets here - even in the winter.

Repetition can be humourous if done correctly.

Kurdt said:

Thats what she said.

What's humour?

"Hackers on Steroids"

Steroids_hackers.jpg

Rick rolling isn't so bad. It's sort of replaced Goatse* and suchlike, which can only be a good thing...

*If you do not know what this is, for the love of god do not look it up. Especially if you are at work. You have been warned.

Kurdt said:

Nobody expects the spanish inquistion...

About Rick Astley (Rick Roll):

In 1985, Astley was playing the club circuit as a drummer with a soul band named FBI, when he was seen by the record producer Pete Waterman and persuaded to come to London to work at the PWL recording studio. Under the tutelage of production trio Stock Aitken Waterman, Astley was taught about the recording process and groomed for his future career, supposedly starting off as the recording studio 'tea boy'. During much of his career, many listeners assumed he was black. In one instance, the comedic entertainer, Sinbad, discussed him with a talk-show host, expressing his surprise that Astley was not "one of the brothers." Even after his visual appearance, it was still popular belief that he was miming for a black American singer.[2] His brother Mike Astley helped to refute this assertion.

His first single was the little-known "When You Gonna" released as a collaboration with Lisa Carter, but his first solo outing was "Never Gonna Give You Up," released in 1987. It became an immediate success, spending five weeks at the top of the British charts and becoming the year's highest-selling single. It was the first of 13 (world-wide) Top 30 hit singles for him.

(Lyric to "Never Gonna Give You Up")

Were no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do i
A full commitments what I am thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just want to tell you how I am feeling
Gotta make you understand

* never going to give you up
Never going to let you down
Never going to run around and desert you
Never going to make you cry
Never going to say goodbye
Never going to tell a lie and hurt you

Weve know each other for so long
Your hearts been aching
But youre too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and were going to play it

And if you ask me how I am feeling
Dont tell me youre too blind to see

(* repeat)

Give you up. give you up
Give you up, give you up
Never going to give
Never going to give, give you up
Never going to give
Never going to give, five you up

I just want to tell you how I am feeling
Gotta make you understand

It seems pretty cut and dried to me.

But maybe I'm missing something.

yours in Chaos, Scarlett

What is a "whippersnapper"?

A "whippersnapper" is a term that is often used to describe a young person who is inexperienced or lacking in knowledge or skills. It can also be used playfully to refer to someone who is energetic and mischievous.

Why do older people think young people have a lame sense of humour?

Older people may perceive young people's sense of humour as "lame" because it is often based on current trends and pop culture references that may not be relatable to them. Additionally, older generations may have different cultural and societal norms that shape their understanding of what is funny.

Is sense of humour subjective?

Yes, sense of humour is subjective and can vary greatly from person to person. What one person finds funny may not be amusing to another. Additionally, sense of humour can also change and evolve over time.

Can sense of humour be improved?

While some people may naturally have a stronger sense of humour, it is possible to improve and develop your sense of humour through exposure to different types of comedy and practicing making jokes. However, what is considered "funny" is still subjective and may not always resonate with everyone.

Are there benefits to having a good sense of humour?

Yes, having a good sense of humour can have many benefits, such as reducing stress and tension, improving relationships, and increasing overall happiness and well-being. However, it is important to be mindful of the type of humour used and ensure it is not hurtful or offensive to others.