You'd wish the bills were as compact as the iPhone

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm only surprised how expensive it is. Something like $600 if you sign a 3 year contract. If I get a phone through my provider, I can get a Moto Q for $100, a Blackberry 7250 for free, or a Palm Treo 700 for $200. Nevermind the technical flaws it may or may not have, that price is simply too high.
That's the weird thing about all new technology toys. They are always really expensive when first released. I've never understood how this manages to work, since the first buyers also get the most flawed product while bugs are fixed. You'd think you'd need a special promotional discount to lure over blackberry users to risk their communications and data on a new gadget that hasn't been proven yet, but, no, for some reason there are always people willing to pay top dollar for the first generation of a new gadget just because it looks cooler than what the competition is selling.

About the only thing I see as a benefit of an iPhone over other smartphones out there is that the touch screen buttons give you a larger screen when you're viewing it since half the phone isn't taken up with buttons. Other than that, it's just prettier, and I'd prefer function over it being pretty. Do smartphones play video? Apparently the iPhone can also play video. But, with a battery that's welded in, do you want to suck up your battery life watching videos if you're away from a charger? That part makes no sense at all. If you're going to have that much on one phone, you'd want to be able to get a spare battery and swap it out if you're on a long trip, such as watching videos while on a plane with the phone part off, and then still need the phone to work when you get to the airport. That's a pretty big flaw not to be able to swap in extra batteries on something that does so much you'd be likely to drain batteries quickly.

Apple will hopefully realize how big a turn off the battery is to many people by the time the design version 2.0.

I talked to a employee at the Apple store. He told me that Apple first offered Verizon Wireless the contract. Verizon turned down the offer (most likely due to an ego battle between the two companies). He also told me that AT&T made all the money back on advertising and telecommunication upgrades within the first 3 months. This was largly due to the activation fee that AT&T charged per iPhone. Also the iPhone allready took a $200 price drop.