1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young Exp (Bright)

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1

DDS

In a Young's interference experiment, the two slits are separated by 0.132 mm, and the incident light includes light of wavelengths λ1 = 540 nm and λ2 = 450 nm. The overlapping interference patterns are formed on a screen 1.47 m from the slits. Calculate the minimum distance from the center of the screen to the point where a bright line of the λ1 light coincides with a bright line of the λ2 light.

I know the formula for the location of a bright fringe is:

Yb=m*lamda*L/d

so do i just calculate the distance of a bright fringe at the 540 wavelenght and then the 450 wavelength and then just the distance b/w them is the answer to the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The question asks you for the location where both patterns have bright lines that coincide, i.e., happen in the same place. You have two equations for the two different wavelengths that must yield the same value for Y. How is that possible?

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3

DDS

So do i set up each equation with there corresponding wavelenght , equate them and find y?

What process do i need to undertake to get my asnwer

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The process you need to undertake is for you to try to solve the problem the way you think it needs to be solved. You obviously have an idea how to do it. Follow your idea and see where it leads.

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5

DDS

i followed it the way i think and it lead to the wrong asnwer thats why i am asking for help

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us what you did.

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    Ok, what must be true to have both diffraction gratings to coincide with each other? Don't mind the distances yet....

9. Jun 13, 2005 #8

DDS

its a ration between

m1/m2=lada2/lamda1

find the ratio plug it back into eitehr distance formula and bingo answer time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?