1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young modulus of nylon rope

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is that I do not have a way of making a nylon rope young modulus stress/strain graph I did not know is anyone would be able to help me obtain the information on the stress and strain or if your feeling really nice make me up a graph!

young modulus = stress
    strain

thankyou to anyone who comes out with this answer

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I do not get what you are supposed to do....just draw a stress vs. strain graph for a nylon rope? As in get accurate values and draw or just make a general shape?

4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    Whats this part of? You should be able to find values for the young modulus online (gradient of your graph) and I *think* it goes through zero.
    If its a practical exercise or part of coursework, then do the experiment.. hehe.

5. Dec 18, 2007 #4
    A change of subject!

this is a bit of a change of question but last night I was a tad tired and didn't quite ask the right qestion. what I am trying to say is how do you work out how much a rope will hold if you fell off a drop of say 40m? I assume this is to do with young's modulus but I have trawlled the internet trying to find and answer

thanks

6. Jan 12, 2008 #5
    As YM is the same for any shape/size of material, why don't you conduct as experiment with the nylon and weights? YM will tlel you how stiff the material is i.e. the high the YM, the stiffer the material. E.g. carbon fibre has a YM of about 125 GPa, and it is very stiff in comparison to wood, which has a YM of about 11GPa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?