• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Youngs and single slit experiments

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
Dx
Hiya!

I have questions that i am hoping someone can confirm my answers to, plz.

1) In youngs double split experiment, if the seperation between the slits decreased wouldnt the distance increase between the interference fringes? I say yes, i used this formula to derive my conclusion. sin[the]= m[lamb] / d. am i correct?

2) In a single slit diffraction experiment, if the width of the slit increases wouldnt the width of the central maximum on a screen increase as well? Is this true, from the pics and what ive read i believe it is but wanted a knowledgeable opinoin on this question

Answers and Replies

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dx,

Homework problems go in the Homework Help forum, OK? These questions ain't theoretical physics.

Originally posted by Dx
1) In youngs double split experiment, if the seperation between the slits decreased wouldnt the distance increase between the interference fringes? I say yes, i used this formula to derive my conclusion. sin[the]= m[lamb] / d. am i correct?
Yes.

2) In a single slit diffraction experiment, if the width of the slit increases wouldnt the width of the central maximum on a screen increase as well? Is this true, from the pics and what ive read i believe it is but wanted a knowledgeable opinoin on this question
Look at the formula for the minima and try again.