Youngs Double Slit at home

• Thread starter kravi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,

Is it possible to do the Young's double slit experiment at home? A related question: Can I generate a focussed electron beam from house hold items?

Thanks
Ravi

Answers and Replies

Hi all,

Is it possible to do the Young's double slit experiment at home?
yes. I think the simplest is to smoke a piece of glass over a candle flame. Using two straight edged razors held between fingers, use a ruler and mark two fine parallel lines gently on the smoked glass. Be careful your straight edge doesn't scuff the blacking. Make a similar, single, straight line on another piece of glass as the source of light. Mount everything in a shoe box or something being careful not to smudge the coating. Illuminate the single slit and see what you get coming out of the two slits projected onto an index card. Something like a an LED (not a white LED) would be a good source of monochromatic light to give you good bands on the other side of the double slit.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Is it possible to do the Young's double slit experiment at home? A related question: Can I generate a focussed electron beam from house hold items?

Thanks
Ravi
You cannot do it with electrons, but you can do it with photons. This works for all subatomic particles, however some create more noticeable waves than others.