1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's double slit experiment

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    Young's double slit experiment produces regular intervals of bright fringes and dark fringes. The bright fringes happen when the 2 sources of wave are in phase and superimpose while the dark fringes are produced when the 2 waves are in antiphase and vectorially cancel each other out.

However, I've a little confused. It is said that for the experiment to work, the sources of light must be coherent. Meaning that they have constant phase difference; always in phase/ antiphase, having a fixed phase difference.

The fact that there are dark and bright fringes indicate that the phase difference is not constant meaning that they are not always in phase/ antiphase.

Am I missing something here or am I interpreting it wrongly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    After further reading. I realised that the term "constant phase difference" actually means that the 2 waves at the point, no matter the period, will always be in phase/ antiphase. Unlike incoherent light sources which has random emission of light waves, thus constant phase difference is not present.

But I'm still unsure of something. If a sodium lamp emit light waves randomly, why will putting a narrow slit in front of the light source produce a coherent one?
  4. Jun 24, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

By putting a narrow single slit in front of a sodium lamp does not produce coherent light. If you keep a narrow double slit in front of the single slit, it produces the coherent light.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?