Young's Double Slit Experiment w/ White Light & Water

In summary, white light will produce colors on a screen because each wavelength will produce a different interference pattern.
songoku

Homework Statement

1. What will happen if we use white light as the source of young's double slit experiment?
2. If the experiment is done in water, what will the effect to the yn? yn is the distance of nth fringe from center fringe.

Homework Equations

d sin θ = nλ
d y/D = nλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure. Will we get some colors of light on the screen like dispersion by prism? If yes, why? Is it because white light consists of several color so each of the color will make different interference pattern because of the difference of wavelength?

The value of yn will decrease because the wavelength will decrease. Am I right?

Thanks

NB : Is there a term for yn? We call the separation of adjacent fringes is fringe separation, so what is the term for the distance of nth fringe from center bright?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to number one is correct,each wavelength will produce its own pattern and all the patterns will overlap.
Your answer to number two is correct.
If you know the equation for fringe separation you can easily answer the question you set in your footnote.

Hi Dadface

Equation for fringe separation :

w = λD/d, but what is the relation to the term of yn?

Thanks

Hello songoku, distance from centre of the first order fringes =1*w,distance from centre of second order fringes=2*w and so on.For the nth order fringes distance =nw.

Hi Dadface

hm...maybe I don't state the question clearly because of my poor English. I'm not looking for the formula, but I want to know what the "name" for yn is. Like what I wrote before :
the separation of adjacent fringes = fringe separation

yn = distance from center bright to nth fringe = ...? maybe it is called nth fringe?

Thanks

The formula for yn is given by
yn = n*d*lamda/D, where d is the slit width and D is the distance between slit and the screen.
Now what happens to the wavelength when the light travels from air to water?

songoku said:
Hi Dadface

hm...maybe I don't state the question clearly because of my poor English. I'm not looking for the formula, but I want to know what the "name" for yn is. Like what I wrote before :
the separation of adjacent fringes = fringe separation

yn = distance from center bright to nth fringe = ...? maybe it is called nth fringe?

Thanks

You can call it the nth bright fringe.To be more precise the central fringe is called the "zero order fringe".The two bright fringes either side of that are called the "first order bright fringes"and so on.Your question was referring to one of the "nth order bright fringes"

Hi rl.bhat and Dadface

Thanks a lot !

1. What is Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It was first conducted by Thomas Young in the early 1800s and has since been replicated and further studied by many scientists.

2. How does the experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam of white light is shone onto a barrier with two slits close together. The light passes through the slits and creates an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier. This pattern is caused by the interaction of the light waves from the two slits, resulting in regions of constructive and destructive interference.

3. What happens when water is used instead of light?

When water is used instead of light, the experiment still demonstrates interference patterns. However, the patterns will be different due to the different properties of water compared to light. Water has a longer wavelength than visible light, so the interference fringes will be wider and more spread out.

4. What does the experiment reveal about the nature of light?

The experiment reveals that light behaves like a wave, as it produces interference patterns just like other types of waves. This supports the wave theory of light, which states that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves.

5. How is this experiment relevant in modern science?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment is still relevant in modern science as it continues to be used to study the properties and behavior of light. It has also been replicated with other types of waves, such as sound waves, to further understand the wave nature of different phenomena. Additionally, the experiment has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.