Young's Double Slit: Find Min. Plexiglas Thickness for Dark Spot

In summary: So the equation is correct. The book has not reversed it.In summary, the minimum thickness of the Plexiglas in a Young's double-slit experiment can be found by setting the optical path difference between the two waves to |λ/2|. The optical distance traveled by the wave passing through the plexi is nt, while the other wave travels nd. Therefore, the equation is \frac{d}{\lambda} - (\frac{t}{\lambda/n} + \frac{d-t}{\lambda}) = \frac{1}{2}. The book's equation is not reversed, but rather takes into account the fact that the optical path is longer for the wave passing through the plexi, resulting in a larger
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

In a Young’s double-slit experiment using light of wavelength
λ, a thin piece of Plexiglas having index of refraction
n covers one of the slits. If the center point on the
screen is a dark spot instead of a bright spot, what is the
minimum thickness of the Plexiglas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the center is to be a dark spot then the Plexiglas must delay the light by 1/2 λ.
Call the distance from each slit to the center d.
Call the thickness of the glass t.

Therefore

[itex]\frac{d}{\lambda} - (\frac{t}{\lambda/n} + \frac{d-t}{\lambda}) = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

My reasoning is that this must be true because there is an extra wavelength in one of the paths. The book, however, reverses it. It takes what I have inside the parenthesis and subtracts that from d/λ. Other than that we agree. Why does the book reverse it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation results in negative t as n is greater than 1. ehild

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

In a Young’s double-slit experiment using light of wavelength
λ, a thin piece of Plexiglas having index of refraction
n covers one of the slits. If the center point on the
screen is a dark spot instead of a bright spot, what is the
minimum thickness of the Plexiglas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the center is to be a dark spot then the Plexiglas must delay the light by 1/2 λ.
Call the distance from each slit to the center d.
Call the thickness of the glass t.

Therefore,

[itex]\frac{d}{\lambda} - (\frac{t}{\lambda/n} + \frac{d-t}{\lambda}) = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

My reasoning is that this must be true because there is an extra wavelength in one of the paths. The book, however, reverses it. It takes what I have inside the parenthesis and subtracts that from d/λ. Other than that we agree. Why does the book reverse it?
What you mean is not clear.

You are subtracting what's in parentheses from λ/d .

... and ditto to what ehild said.

Last edited:
Yes but the book does (stuff) - l/d.
So it does it in reverse. That makes no sense to me. The beam that travels through the plexi should be 1/2 lambda shorter and therefore their equation should equal -(1/2) in my mind.

Feodalherren said:
Yes but the book does (stuff) - l/d.
So it does it in reverse. That makes no sense to me. The beam that travels through the plexi should be 1/2 lambda shorter and therefore their equation should equal -(1/2) in my mind.

What is (stuff)-1/d?

I do not think that the book subtracts λ/d. It is d/λ instead is it not?

## (\frac{t}{\lambda/n} + \frac{d-t}{\lambda})-\frac{d}{\lambda} = \frac{1}{2}##

And that is correct.

As the refractive index is higher than 1 in the plexi slab, the phase of the light wave changes more than in air. We say that the optical path difference between the waves should be |λ/2| in order to produce a black central spot. The optical distance is refractive index times physical distance. Both waves travel equal physical distances to the central spot, but the optical distance is nt for the plexi and d-t for air for the ray traveling through the plexiglass, while it is nd for the other ray. The ray though the plexiglass traveled a longer optical distance, its phase changed more than those of the other ray.

Your formula results in negative thickness for the glass slab which is impossible.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Feodalherren said:
The beam that travels through the plexi should be 1/2 lambda shorter and therefore their equation should equal -(1/2) in my mind.

Thats where you made the mistake.The beam passing through the plexi covers larger optical path. So its path would be 1/2λ greater than the other.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Young's Double Slit experiment?

The Young's Double Slit experiment is a classic experiment in optics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. How does the thickness of plexiglass affect the dark spots in the interference pattern?

The thickness of plexiglass affects the dark spots in the interference pattern because it changes the path length difference between the two slits. This path length difference determines the phase difference between the two waves and can either enhance or cancel out the interference pattern.

3. What is the minimum thickness of plexiglass needed to produce a dark spot in the interference pattern?

The minimum thickness of plexiglass needed to produce a dark spot in the interference pattern is determined by the phase difference between the two waves. This can be calculated using the equation: t = (m + ½)λ/n, where t is the thickness, m is the order of the dark spot, λ is the wavelength of light, and n is the refractive index of plexiglass.

4. How does changing the wavelength of light affect the minimum thickness of plexiglass for a dark spot?

Changing the wavelength of light affects the minimum thickness of plexiglass for a dark spot because the wavelength directly affects the phase difference between the two waves. A shorter wavelength will require a thicker plexiglass to produce a dark spot, while a longer wavelength will require a thinner plexiglass.

5. What are the practical applications of the Young's Double Slit experiment?

The Young's Double Slit experiment has various practical applications, such as in the study of diffraction and interference of light, determining the wavelength of light, and in the development of optical instruments. It is also used in the field of quantum mechanics to study the wave-particle duality of light and matter.