1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's experiment related questions

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'll be posting questions in relation to Young's experiment. My first question (for now):

Given a set a of minima (m) values [were m is from -10 (included) to +10 (included)], their corresponding distance from central point (where laser beam shines if nothing obstructs its path) and the distance between diffraction plate and screen (where laser is displaying max/min pattern), how would one go about calculating:

a) θ, b) sinθ ---> These values will be used later on to calculate distance between splits

One would think that the obvious answer is tan(gent) (opposite length which is distance of minima from center / length to screen) but I am not sure. Logically, one would be inclined to try and calculate the above using only sin(e) equation.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted