Interpreting Young's Light Interference Data: Can You Help Me Clear My Doubts?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment and data analysis involving a grating-interference pattern. The participants express doubts and ask for clarification on the setup and interpretation of the data. It is concluded that the data may be difficult to interpret due to the shape of the envelope and the type of grating being used. However, it is likely that the interpretation provided is correct based on the information given.
JosefMTD
Hello!
I have done this experiment and managed to find this data:
http://puu.sh/bO8TJ/ac3520ec8b.png

Am I right for saying that the position that reaches the value of 5 amps are the central bright and the position 220-ish as the 1st bright order and the position 260-ish as the 2nd bright order?

Or is it also okay to say that the position around 130 is a 1st bright order, the position around 90 is a 2nd bright order and position around 50 is a 3rd bright order and the position around 10 is the 4th bright order?

I'm having this doubt analyzing this data, can anyone help me clear my doubt?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
It would help a lot if you could describe your setup first. I guess it's a grating (multiple number of slits). So you have a grating-interference pattern with the interference pattern of the single slit as the envelop or something like this, I guess.

Strange envelope shape. Strange intensity units. Strangely even linear spacing of maxima, too, if this is a grating. Would be interesting to know the set-up.

Ya, this is a single slit enveloped a grating

Ya, this is a single slit enveloped a grating

I think this is hard to interpret. If the diffraction grating is a simple array of evenly spaced rectangular slits then the zeroth order beam would be the most intense, and the intensity of beams on either side would fall off, higher order beams becoming less intense. The reason for that is the 'modulating' single slit diffraction pattern, which gives the 'envelope'.

The pattern you have is not what I've just described, because the envelope is quite different in shape. This may be because you are using a diffraction grating which isn't much like an array of rectangular slits, but instead some other periodic variation of transmission as we go across the grating. It may be a reflection grating - you don't say which. The 'transmission profile' (or 'reflection profile') may be specially designed so the intensity is greater in certain higher orders.

Are we even dealing with light? Or some other electromagnetic wave?

With no more information than what you've given us, I'd say that your interpretation is quite likely to be the right one.

Last edited:

1. What is Young's Light Interference?

Young's Light Interference is a phenomenon in which light waves interfere with each other to create a pattern of bright and dark fringes. It was first observed by physicist Thomas Young in the early 1800s.

2. How does Young's Light Interference occur?

Young's Light Interference occurs when two or more coherent light waves overlap and interfere with each other. This interference can be constructive, where the waves reinforce each other and create bright fringes, or destructive, where the waves cancel each other out and create dark fringes.

3. What is the significance of Young's Light Interference?

Young's Light Interference played a crucial role in the development of the wave theory of light and helped to prove that light behaves as a wave. It also has practical applications in fields such as interferometry, which is used in precision measurement and imaging.

4. What is the difference between Young's Light Interference and other types of interference?

Young's Light Interference specifically refers to the interference of light waves, while other types of interference can occur with any type of wave, such as sound or water waves. Additionally, Young's Interference is characterized by the presence of fringes, which are not always present in other types of interference.

5. Can Young's Light Interference be observed with any type of light?

Yes, Young's Light Interference can be observed with any type of coherent light, which means that the light waves have a consistent phase relationship. This includes natural light sources, such as the sun, as well as artificial sources, such as lasers.