1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Mod and Spring Constant of a disk

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Young's Mod and Spring Constant of a disk

Hello, I am trying to find the proper thickness of a disk. In the center of the disk I will attach a steel rod which holds a certain fixed mass. The disk must be a fixed diameter and it can be any reasonable material or thickness. I would like to use something like aluminum.
    Knowing the Diameter of the disk, mass of the attached wieght, and assuming I have access to any material and it's young's modulus....
    I need to find a material and a material thickness that will result in a total system resonance of 110Hz.

So I have a spring-mass system with a set mass, needed resonance, and variables of Material(young's) and Disk thickness with which to find.

This is not a homework problem. I am an engineer (obviously not an experienced one) who is having a brain block. Any usable help (an equation relating all my variables) will be rewarded (if you send me a private email w/name and address).

Thanks a lot.
    TC9333

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted