Young's Modulus/Breaking Point

• Thread starter Reisen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving Young's Modulus and the maximum force that can be applied to a bone before it fractures. The problem is solved using the equation F/A = 1.5 x 10^8 N/m^2, but the resulting answer seems implausible. After further discussion and correction, the correct answer is determined to be 1.5 x 10^8 N.
Reisen
I've got a homework problem that starts like so:

Assume that Young's Modulus is 1.5 x 10^10 N/m^2 for bone and that the bone will fracture if stress greater than 1.5 x 10^8 N/m^2 is imposed on it.

If the effective diameter of the bone is 2.5cm, what is the maximum force that can be imposed on it (before breaking, I assume)

Here's what I've done:
A=(.0125m)2π = 4.91*10^-4 m^2
1.5*10^8 N/m^2 = F/A
1.5*10^8 N/m^2 = F/(4.91*10-4m^2)
3.055*10^11 = F

Problem is, that's a completely off-the-wall figure to get. It equates to about 68 billion pounds, and I know that bone would break well before then. I assume that the Young's Modulus provided isn't perfect, but couldn't be that far off.

So where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-Reisen

Edit: I got it, finally. Apparently, Algebra > Me :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is 1.5 x 10^8 N. I was dividing by the area when I should have been multiplying it.

Hi Reisen,

It looks like you have the right approach to solving this problem. However, I believe there was a small error in your calculations. When you converted the diameter of the bone from centimeters to meters, you wrote .0125m instead of .025m. This would explain why your final answer was so off.

The correct calculation would be:

A = (.025m)^2 * π = 1.96 x 10^-3 m^2
1.5 x 10^8 N/m^2 = F/A
1.5 x 10^8 N/m^2 = F/(1.96 x 10^-3 m^2)
7.35 x 10^10 N = F

This final answer is much more reasonable and falls within the range of what we would expect for the maximum force that can be imposed on a bone before it breaks.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work with your homework problems. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to avoid any small errors. Good luck!

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It describes the relationship between stress and strain in a material under tensile or compressive forces.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) in a material. It is typically measured in units of GPa (gigapascals) or psi (pounds per square inch).

3. What is the breaking point of a material?

The breaking point, also known as the ultimate tensile strength, is the maximum stress a material can withstand before it breaks or fractures. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of a material.

4. How does Young's Modulus relate to the breaking point?

The higher the Young's Modulus of a material, the stiffer and more rigid it is. This means that it can withstand higher levels of stress before reaching its breaking point. However, it is important to note that other factors such as material composition and manufacturing process also play a role in determining the breaking point.

5. What are some real-life applications of Young's Modulus and breaking point?

Young's Modulus and breaking point are important properties to consider in the design and engineering of various structures and products. For example, they are crucial in determining the strength and flexibility of building materials, the durability of bridges and roads, and the safety of vehicles and aircraft. They are also used in the development of new materials for various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.