1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the Young’s moduli for Van der Waals solids with sc, bcc, and fcc structures.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of Young's Modulus
    $$Y=\frac{stress}{strain}$$
    Total energy due to Van der Waals interaction:
    $$U_{tot}=\frac{1}{2}N(4 \epsilon) \left( \sum_j{ \left( \frac{ \sigma}{p_{j}R}\right)}^{12} - \sum_j{ \left( \frac{ \sigma}{p_{j}R}\right)}^{6} \right)$$
    Where ##p_{j}R## is the distance between the atom at the origin and the ##j^{th}## atom, expressed in terms of the nearest neighbor distance ##R##.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am considering using the fact that ##X_x=\frac{\partial U}{\partial e_{xx}}## (where ##X_x## is stress) and dividing by ##e_{xx}##, but I'm not sure how to do that with the expression for ##U## given above. Perhaps I can get ##R## in terms of the strain and then take the derivative? Are there any tips or hints you can give me so I can start this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?