Young's Modulus for Plastic

• Thread starter mathsgeek
  • Start date
Young's Modulus for Plastic URGENT

I was wondering what is the young's modulus for plastics because im looking all over the internet and can't find anything? Its because in an experiment i calculated it to be 10.9GPa but i need to compare it to an actual value. Thanks

Answers and Replies

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

What type of plastic? There are many types, each with its own characteristic stiffness. (10.9 GPa wouldn't be unusual.)

You can find stiffness values in many reference books; search for handbooks on polymers/materials selection/mechanical engineering.

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Try http://www.matweb.com/search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx" [Broken] also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well i just need to knowthe literature value for plastics (most of them i would believe) so where on that site and internet could i find that because ive got a materials science and engineering textbook and it isnt in there?

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Q_Goest's link takes you to a site with mechanical properties for >50,000 polymers. It would be more effective if you explained why the earlier answers are unsatisfactory instead of just continuing to bump the thread.

Because i need a general value as we arent told what type of plastic it is.

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Pick ten at random and take the average value. Actually, this is a good idea for any engineer, if just to know whether plastics have a typical stiffness of 1kPa, 1MPa, or 1GPa.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

Because i need a general value as we arent told what type of plastic it is.
Let me see if I get this straight. You have a table for all sorts of kinds of plastic. You, who presumably has access to the plastic in question, can't decide what number to use. So you ask us, people who don't have access to the plastic in question, which number to use? How can we possibly be in a better position than you are?

Q_Goest gave you the best possible answer.

By the way, is this coursework? It's starting to sound like it.