1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Modulus for Plastic

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Young's Modulus for Plastic URGENT

I was wondering what is the young's modulus for plastics because im looking all over the internet and can't find anything? Its because in an experiment i calculated it to be 10.9GPa but i need to compare it to an actual value. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Young's Modulus for Plastic URGENT

What type of plastic? There are many types, each with its own characteristic stiffness. (10.9 GPa wouldn't be unusual.)

You can find stiffness values in many reference books; search for handbooks on polymers/materials selection/mechanical engineering.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try http://www.matweb.com/search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx" [Broken] also.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Well i just need to knowthe literature value for plastics (most of them i would believe) so where on that site and internet could i find that because ive got a materials science and engineering textbook and it isnt in there?

6. Oct 12, 2009 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Q_Goest's link takes you to a site with mechanical properties for >50,000 polymers. It would be more effective if you explained why the earlier answers are unsatisfactory instead of just continuing to bump the thread.

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6

Because i need a general value as we arent told what type of plastic it is.

8. Oct 13, 2009 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pick ten at random and take the average value. Actually, this is a good idea for any engineer, if just to know whether plastics have a typical stiffness of 1kPa, 1MPa, or 1GPa.

9. Oct 13, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Let me see if I get this straight. You have a table for all sorts of kinds of plastic. You, who presumably has access to the plastic in question, can't decide what number to use. So you ask us, people who don't have access to the plastic in question, which number to use? How can we possibly be in a better position than you are?

Q_Goest gave you the best possible answer.

By the way, is this coursework? It's starting to sound like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook