1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Youngs Modulus for Steel

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was given the problem to try experimentally find youngs modulus for normalized steel but when i did the equation the value i got was about 33 GPa. It is supposed to be around 200 isnt it? I cannot figure out what is wrong, am i missing something or is the measured data probably wrong? these values were all measured experimentally and in a bit of a hurry so it could be that, that is causing the problem, but i cant see howthe result could be thrown so off...

heres the data anyway

Test piece original length: 25mm
    Diameter: 3.52mm -- cross sec area:9.73mm^2

and the graphs attached , looking at the one for normalized steel, but also tried it with tempered steel with similiarbad results

2. Relevant equations

Youngs modulus -> dStress/dStrain

3. The attempt at a solution

i took 2 points at x=1.28mm, y = 9600 N and x=1mm, y = 6000 N

[ (9600/9.73*10^-6) - (6000/9.73*10^-6) ] / [ (1.28/25) - (1/25) ] = 33.035 GPa

I know i probably didnt read the values off the graph very accurately but I didnt expect the answer to be so far off because of that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Clancy, welcome to PF! You have the right equation. The graph appears to be a plot of force vs. deformation. Did you interpret it correctly? Please show your work so someone can check your math.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    Be sure to take points in the straightline section of the curves. This is where the definition Youngs modulus = dStress/dStrain is defined. I cannot see you have taken the correct points. Be sure to claculate strain with respect to its original length.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook