1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youngs Modulus, help im lost

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Help I have spent a couple of days on this one and I am lost....

What would the force constant be for a 75.0 cm length of 16-gauge (dia=1.291mm) copper wire? Y copper=11x10^10 Pa
    The answer being in Nm.
    The problem is I don’t even know where or how to approach this problem as when I have looked at hookes law and Young’s I fail to see how to fit this problem into the equations. I will accept lack of understanding, fatigue, or just plain stupidity on my behalf. If someone could spare the time to step me through it, i don't need this solved, just the steps so I can solve it myself. I would be grateful thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically 8 pages of incomprehensible gibberish

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just answered that same question about steel. The units of Y are N/m^2. The force constant k is N/m. Let the cross sectional area be A and the length L. A REALLY good guess would be k=Y*A/L. Wouldn't it? Think dimensional analysis. Confirm it by looking it up or applying physical intuition.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    Sloved--- yeh

Dick thanks for your help. The big issue I found is to change every thing into base units and work in scientific notation, a big part of my problem, how ever your gental push in the right direction has me now on track Big thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?