Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Youngs Modulus, help im lost

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Help I have spent a couple of days on this one and I am lost....

What would the force constant be for a 75.0 cm length of 16-gauge (dia=1.291mm) copper wire? Y copper=11x10^10 Pa
    The answer being in Nm.
    The problem is I don’t even know where or how to approach this problem as when I have looked at hookes law and Young’s I fail to see how to fit this problem into the equations. I will accept lack of understanding, fatigue, or just plain stupidity on my behalf. If someone could spare the time to step me through it, i don't need this solved, just the steps so I can solve it myself. I would be grateful thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically 8 pages of incomprehensible gibberish

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just answered that same question about steel. The units of Y are N/m^2. The force constant k is N/m. Let the cross sectional area be A and the length L. A REALLY good guess would be k=Y*A/L. Wouldn't it? Think dimensional analysis. Confirm it by looking it up or applying physical intuition.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    Sloved--- yeh

Dick thanks for your help. The big issue I found is to change every thing into base units and work in scientific notation, a big part of my problem, how ever your gental push in the right direction has me now on track Big thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook