X - Solving for Load in Young's Modulus Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a College Physics book involving a copper wire and determining the load needed for its length to increase by 0.3mm. The given answer in the back is 47N, but the person is unsure of their own answer of 59.4N and asks for help understanding Young's Modulus.
greeto8
Had a problem with this question in my (Wilson Buffa Lou) College Physics book.

The problem says: A copper wire has a length of 5.0m and a diameter of 3mm. Under what load will its length increase by 0.3mm?
The answer in the back says 47N.

This is my work through the problem and I wanted to see where I went wrong.

delta L=0.3 x 10^-3m A=(3x10^-3)^2=A=(9x10^-6m^2) Lo=5.0m
Copper Wire=Y=11x10^10

ok... So...Y=FLo/(delta)LA

F(5.0m)/(0.3x10^-3)(9x10^-6m^2)=(11x10^10)

F(5.0m)/(2.7x10^-9)=11x10^10

multiplying both sides by 2x10^-9

297N/m=F(5.0m) 297N/m/5.0m=59.4N My answer: 59.4N Any help greatly appreciated. Is my work getting close? Cant find enough examples for Young's Modulus, any direction in that matter is greatly appreciated too. Thank you for your time.
Ed

Physics news on Phys.org
A=(3x10^-3)^2=A=(9x10^-6m^2)

pi?
A=r2*pi
I just figured it out. In your formula you have to divide 3x10^-3 by 2 because you' re dealing with diameter.
I tried to solve it, and I get around 47 N

Last edited:
win

Hello Edwin,

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, there are a few mistakes that may have led to your incorrect answer.

Firstly, in the equation Y=FLo/(delta)LA, the "A" should not be squared. It should just be A=9x10^-6m^2. This is because the area of a circle is calculated by A=πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle (in this case, the diameter of the wire is given, so you just need to divide it by 2 to get the radius).

Secondly, when you multiplied both sides by 2x10^-9, you should have also multiplied F(5.0m) by 2x10^-9. This would give you F=59.4N, which is the correct answer.

So, in summary, your mistake was mainly in squaring the area and not multiplying F(5.0m) by 2x10^-9. Keep in mind that when solving for a variable, you must perform the same operation on both sides of the equation.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep practicing and you will get more familiar with Young's Modulus and other concepts in physics. Good luck!

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the Modulus of Elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when subjected to an applied force.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. It is typically represented by the symbol E and has the unit of pressure, such as newtons per square meter (N/m²) or pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect Young's Modulus?

The factors that affect Young's Modulus include the type of material, its microstructure and composition, temperature, and the presence of defects or impurities. Generally, materials with stronger bonds between atoms have higher Young's Modulus values.

4. What is the significance of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important material property as it allows us to predict how a material will behave under different types of stress and strain. It is used in engineering and design to determine the appropriate materials for a given application and to ensure the safety and stability of structures and components.

5. Can Young's Modulus change over time?

Yes, Young's Modulus can change over time due to factors such as stress relaxation, creep, and fatigue. These changes can occur in response to long-term exposure to external forces or high temperatures, and can affect the overall performance and durability of a material.