What is the Young's Modulus of Copper?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the young's modulus of a 2 meter length of copper wire using a force-extension graph and the formula E=kL/A. Results obtained by the individual seem to be incorrect due to using inadequate equipment.
groom03

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to calculate the youngs modulus of a 2 meter length of copper wire.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

for 30SWG i get 26GPa
for 38 i get 3.1 GPa
and for 24 i get 49 GPa

Youngs modulus of copper is meant to be ~100GPa (from wiki)

Have i forgotten to do something or are my results way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't 'calculating young's modulus'. You looked that up. You are calculating something else. What is it? What formula are you using to obtain it? The units of what you are after probably aren't GPa.

I made a force extension graph and the gradient is k i use that in the formula E=kL/A
where L is the original length and A is the cross sectional area of the wire.

Ok, so k=EA/L. The units of E are N/m^2, A is m^2 and L is m. So the units of k are N/m. If that's the units for your answers they don't look right. Pick 24SWG for example. What's the wire diameter? What do you get for the area?

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry to waste peoples time, me and my teacher had a look at it today and ,my answer is right but there is a huge error because of the rubbishy equipment i was stuck using

1. What is Young's modulus of copper?

Young's modulus of copper is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of copper, which is the ability of a material to resist deformation when a force is applied to it. It is also known as the modulus of elasticity or elastic modulus.

2. What is the unit of Young's modulus of copper?

The unit of Young's modulus of copper is pounds per square inch (psi) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). It is a measure of stress divided by strain, which are both expressed in these units.

3. How is Young's modulus of copper determined?

Young's modulus of copper is determined by measuring the stress and strain of a copper sample under tensile testing. The stress is the force applied to the sample divided by its cross-sectional area, while the strain is the change in length of the sample divided by its original length.

4. What is the typical value of Young's modulus of copper?

The typical value of Young's modulus of copper is around 17-19 million psi (117-131 GPa). However, this value can vary depending on the purity, grain size, and other factors of the copper material.

5. How does the Young's modulus of copper compare to other materials?

Copper has a relatively high Young's modulus compared to other materials, such as aluminum and steel. However, it is lower than materials like titanium and tungsten. This means that copper is stiffer and less elastic than aluminum and steel, but more elastic than titanium and tungsten.