1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youngs modulus of copper

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm supposed to calculate the youngs modulus of a 2 meter length of copper wire.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for 30SWG i get 26GPa
    for 38 i get 3.1 GPa
    and for 24 i get 49 GPa

Youngs modulus of copper is meant to be ~100GPa (from wiki)

Have i forgotten to do something or are my results way off?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't 'calculating young's modulus'. You looked that up. You are calculating something else. What is it? What formula are you using to obtain it? The units of what you are after probably aren't GPa.
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    I made a force extension graph and the gradient is k i use that in the formula E=kL/A
    where L is the original length and A is the cross sectional area of the wire.
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so k=EA/L. The units of E are N/m^2, A is m^2 and L is m. So the units of k are N/m. If that's the units for your answers they don't look right. Pick 24SWG for example. What's the wire diameter? What do you get for the area?
  6. Apr 28, 2008 #5
    Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry to waste peoples time, me and my teacher had a look at it today and ,my answer is right but there is a huge error because of the rubbishy equipment i was stuck using
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?