What is the Young's Modulus of Panzani Spaghetti?

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining experimental data for Young's modulus of spaghetti, specifically the Panzani brand. The person asks for any links or information from someone who has conducted a lab or research on this topic. Another person mentions an article that discusses the brittle failure of dry spaghetti and includes a value of 5 GPa for the elastic modulus. They also mention another article that may be of interest.
simon.m
I am working on my extended essay in IB Physics and would like to have some experimental data. More specifically I need Young's modulus of spaghetti (Panzani -- if possible :). In case you've done a lab or some other research where you calculated this value, please send me a link (or just any other info you may have). thx
Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
dry or wet?

:) good question.
DRY, please!

... came across this a while ago :

G.V. Guinea et al, Brittle failure of dry spaghetti, Engineering Failure Analysis, 11, 2004, 705-714.

... in it for durum wheat semolina, base material for spaghetti, they among other stuff do tensile tests and arrive at an elastic modulus of 5 GPa. I first picked the article since was interested about pasta fracture morphology, perhaps to improve my cooking . :biggrin:

Phys. Rev. Lett. 95 095505

This might be of interest to you.

1. What is Young's modulus of spaghetti?

Young's modulus of spaghetti is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of spaghetti. It is a material property that describes the relationship between stress (force applied) and strain (deformation) in the spaghetti.

2. How is Young's modulus of spaghetti determined?

To determine Young's modulus of spaghetti, a small piece of spaghetti is taken and a known force is applied to it. The amount of deformation (strain) is measured and then Young's modulus can be calculated using the formula E = stress/strain.

3. Does Young's modulus of spaghetti change with the type of spaghetti?

Yes, Young's modulus of spaghetti can vary depending on the type of spaghetti used. Factors such as the ingredients, cooking time, and thickness can affect the stiffness and elasticity of the spaghetti, and therefore its Young's modulus.

4. How does Young's modulus of spaghetti compare to other materials?

Young's modulus of spaghetti is relatively low compared to other materials, such as steel or rubber. This is because spaghetti is made up of mostly water, which makes it more pliable and less stiff.

5. Can Young's modulus of spaghetti be changed?

Yes, the Young's modulus of spaghetti can be changed by altering the cooking time or adding different ingredients. For example, overcooking spaghetti can make it softer and less stiff, while adding flour or other ingredients can increase its stiffness and therefore its Young's modulus.