1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Modulus Question

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10 kg load suspended by a brass wire 10 m long is observed to vibrate vertically in SHM at a frequency of 10 vib/s. Given that the Young's modulus for brass is gif.gif m%5E%7B2%7D.gif , what is the cross-sectional area of the wire?

So we know:
    m = 10kg
    l = 10m
    f = 10Hz
    Y = 9x10^10
    2. Relevant equations

Y = (F/A)/(delta l/l)

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have solved Young's modulus problems but they have been very basic. Since this one includes what appears to be some sort of vertical movement/vibration, I don't know what to do because I don't know how the vib/s or Hz comes into play...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have studied SHM, then you know that a body moves in SHM when the body is subject to a force obeying Hooke's law. Did you learn how the vibrational frequency is related to the mass of the body and the force constant in Hooke's law?

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    We did and I'm working on it and I think I'm on my way...

At first I was so confused by the SHM because I had never seen it with any Young's mod problem but I am using Hooke's and Young's mod to find the actual stretch.

I was able to isolate the k constant and I think maybe I can solve this

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted