Young's modulus times second moment of area

In summary, the term (E x I) / y represents the magnitude of normal strain at the surface per unit bending moment, with EI being the flexural rigidity. In the formula (M/I) = (E/R), "R" represents the radius of curvature of the bending beam.
Pietair
Good day,

Im am wondering what you get when you determine the following of a bar during a bending experiment:

(E x I) / y

E = the Young's Modulus [kgf/mm^2]
I = Second moment of area [mm^4]
y = half of the bar height [mm]

Is there a name for this term? And what does this term represent?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reciprocal of this term is the magnitude of the normal strain at the surface per unit bending moment (because [itex]|\sigma_{\rm{max}}|=My/EI[/itex]). EI alone is called the flexural rigidity.

Allright, thanks a lot.

Then I have got one question left:

In the formula:
(M/I) = (E/R)

What does "R" represent?

The radius of curvature of the bending beam.

1. What is Young's modulus times second moment of area?

Young's modulus times second moment of area is a measure of a material's stiffness and resistance to bending. It is calculated by multiplying the Young's modulus (a measure of a material's elasticity) by the second moment of area (a measure of the object's cross-sectional area and shape).

2. How is Young's modulus times second moment of area used in engineering?

Young's modulus times second moment of area is commonly used in engineering to determine the deflection and stress of a beam or other structural element when a force is applied. It is also used to compare the stiffness and strength of different materials.

3. What are the units of measurement for Young's modulus times second moment of area?

The units of measurement for Young's modulus times second moment of area are typically in Newton-meters squared (Nm^2) or pound-force inches squared (lbf·in^2).

4. How does temperature affect Young's modulus times second moment of area?

Temperature can have an impact on the value of Young's modulus times second moment of area, as it can affect the elasticity and stiffness of the material. As temperature increases, the value of Young's modulus times second moment of area may decrease, making the material more flexible.

5. Can Young's modulus times second moment of area be used for all types of materials?

No, Young's modulus times second moment of area is most commonly used for materials that exhibit linear elasticity, meaning that the relationship between stress and strain is constant. It may not accurately represent the behavior of materials that exhibit non-linear elasticity, such as plastics or rubber.