1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youngs modulus

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question simply asks to calculate the Youngs modulus. I've attached the question.

2. Relevant equations
    Youngs Modulus = (change in stress)/(change in strain)

3. The attempt at a solution
    okay, what i did was simply find the gradient between each of the points. However they were all different gradients, which means the graph isn't linear (i think). So then how do i solve it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I believe Youngs modulus can only be calculated for stress-strain that remains below the elastic limit - ie the first straight part of the graph.

EDIT: btw, I don't see the question attached, but hopefully this will help anyway.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    sorry about that, I've attached the question now.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

What did you make of the statement in the first sentence?

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5
    Oh i get it, the first data point would be 0 stress 0 strain and the gradient between 0,0 and the 1st data point is the same as the gradient between the first data point and the second data point but different from the 2nd and 3rd. I get it, thank you!

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook