1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youngs modulus

1. Mar 29, 2003 #1
    youngs modulus....

there are two rods rod1 , made of brass - length L1=2m
    area of cross section A1 2x10^-4 m^2 and young's modulus y1= 10^11
    rod 2 , made of steel , lenght L2 , cross sectional area A2=10^-4 m^2 and youngs modulus y2 = 2x10^11 .

the question is if the two rods are fixed end to end , and two equal and opposite forces are applied at each end (the ends not fixed to each other-free ends )pulling the combination of both the rods outward,
    and the value of the forces applied are 5x10^4 on both sides.
    then find the length of rod 2 such that both have equal increase in length dl (read delta L ) as a result of the forces.

here's what i did ,
    i assumed that because both the rods are fixed at one end , any extension that takes place will occur in the direction of the force

i.e F = (y1.A1.dl)/L1
    i know F,A1,y1,L1 theredore i can find dl
    now i substituted this dl in the corresponding equation for rod 2 and then found L2 ( F=( y2.A2.dl)/L2 )
    and i got it to be equal to 2m but the answer in the solutions given out was 1.8m

i want to know what is wrong with my assumption because i am sure something is wrong with it...

or if take the lenght of the total rod to be L1+L2 i.e L2+2and take the midpt. of the rod as the origin for calculating ..
    oh well i'm very confused..
    please help me if u can!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2003 #2
    Well I can't see any flaw in your calculation. The steel rod has only half the cross section, but double strength, so the effect should be the same.

The only correction I can think of, is: If a rod gets longer, it will also get thinner. So maybe you have to use different A's.

On the other hand, if you plug in values, you find dl = 5mm. Or .25% of the original length. Not enough to explain the 10% difference. Plus, I doubt the rods can take such a strong force and still be in the elastic domain. Imagine you suspend a 5-ton truck by only a 2m x 9mm brass rod...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?