1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Young's Modulus

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    Suggest why a thin rod can bend more than thick rod without breaking

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2
    If you look at the equation for stress: F/A, a thicker rod would have more stress for the same force. Thus it would bend less without breaking.

This is just using the equation, I don't know why.

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3
    For the same bending angle, the stress is less in the thinner bar.
    The breaking stress is a material characteristic so it is the same for two bars made from the same material.

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4
    They are asking in terms of extensions (I wrote the same answer and got it wrong)

6. Apr 18, 2016 #5
    Extensions and compressions are also less in a thin rod. They are proportional to the distance from the neutral axis.
    But how can be "wrong" to discuss it in terms of stress?

7. Apr 18, 2016 #6

cjl

You haven't really explained why the stress is lower in the thinner rod with just that answer. You should really mention that the stress is lower for a given bending angle because the strain is lower, and this is because of the distance from the neutral axis.

8. Apr 18, 2016 #7
    The tensile strain at the outside of the bend is equal to the ratio t/R, where t is the distance from the neutral axis and R is the radius of curvature. So, in a thin rod having the same radius of curvature as a thick rod, the distance from the neutral axis at the outside of the bend is less and the tensile strain is less.

9. Apr 21, 2016 #8
    Because the bending stress depends on the distance between it's neutral axis (which is in the center for common shapes in the case of pure bending). So a thicker rod will experience larger maximum bending stress than a slim one when subject to forces of the same magnitude.
    stress3.png

10. Apr 21, 2016 #9
    M/I is the same thing as the elastic modulus E divided by the radius of curvature. So as I said in my post, for the same radius of curvature, with two rods of the same material, the thicker one will have a larger bending stress because it has material elements further from the neutral axis.

11. Apr 22, 2016 #10
    same reason why a arc of small radius subtends a larger angle at center than a arc of same length and larger radius

12. Apr 22, 2016 #11
    Please elaborate on how this answers the OPs question in terms of the stress required to cause the rod to break.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted